Chapter Ten

(Author's Note: Nira's point of view now.)

The door had closed all the way. I looked down one end of the hallway, and down the other. I was out. I could go. I was free.

At that moment, I was free.

_____

I looked down each end of the long and empty hall and decided to turn left. I didn't run. No adrenaline found my body. I walked slowly, thoroughly enjoying the feeling that I had escaped from a cell in The First Order. 

I took several deep breaths. About three minutes had passed, and I was one hundred yards away from that despicable cell. 

I suddenly heard a faint sound in the distance. It sounded like . . . footsteps. I slowed to a stop and turned my head slightly to the right as if that improved my hearing. 

I was right. Fear arose in me and I felt sick to my stomach. Now I would have to run. 

I turned to see who my discoverer was and my stomach felt like it was going on a free fall. 

It was him. Kylo Ren.

I couldn't contain the gasp that escaped my lips. I saw him stop in his path. I turned my back to him and began to sprint, pumping my arms and quickening my foot turnover so I could get faster away from him. 

I must've gotten five steps before a pack of stormtroopers turned the corner to greet me. I nearly skidded to a stop. My instinct was to turn around but then I remembered the person who was behind me. 

I had Kylo Ren behind me and a pack of stormtroopers in front. My mind was so undecided I couldn't do anything except stick my hands closely to my chest, hoping to protect myself, knowing I was going to die or worse.

Knowing that you are going to die is one of the worst feelings you can know. The only thing I've experienced that beats it is having your mother slaughtered in front of you.

The stormtroopers kept advancing and I could feel a scream rising in my throat, but it didn't get out before he shot at me.

A stormtrooper literally shot at me for cringing away from them and looking terrified.

I shut my eyes closed, waiting for my death to come.

But it didn't.

I felt something rise up from the depths of my body, faster than light, and burst out in a matter of nanoseconds. It felt like a firework. My vision went dark for one second, two seconds, three seconds, four seconds.

I was alive. The stormtrooper who had pulled his trigger was flying down the hallway with a bullet hole in his white armor. He landed twenty feet away and was dead.

What the hell? I thought confusedly. What had just happened to me? Why wasn't I dead?

The other stormtroopers stared at me. They didn't move at all. They stopped advancing. Were they . . . Scared?

I turned and was then reminded of the real danger. The one who could really put me to death. He was fully cloaked, the hood pulled up, and his ominous breathing was emitting from the mask. Kylo Ren.

He had brought me here. He had put me in captivity for twenty-seven damn days. That was enough to set me into a panicking escape mode.

I once again turned my back to him and began running towards the stormtroopers, who still hadn't began to move after they'd shot at me.

I got five steps before I felt something invisible grab at my legs and arms. My limbs ceased movement and I cried out, falling to the ground and sliding a few inches. Ouch. The realization that Kylo Ren had used The Force on me dawned on me and I gritted my teeth with anger. I hated the feeling of having no control over any part of me except my mind and where I looked.