Chapter Thirty

(Author's Note: This chapter is in Nira's point of view.)

(Another Author's Note: I love the picture I added to this chapter. Just saying.)  

_____

I had just begun to walk through a vast field  when I'd first heard the ships. The ominous hum had filled my ears and I'd looked up. Upon seeing the dark shapes descending in the sky, I sped up to a flat sprint.  

I didn't care what it was that I saw in the sky. I didn't care who it was. I didn't care what they wanted. I wanted nothing to do with the eerie nearing shapes. 

I was halfway across the field. My heart raced, sweat was dripping down my arms, and I hyperventilated. Increasing fear of the approaching shapes spiked up the speed of my dash. 

I glanced up again and they were nearly over me. My high-pitched, quick breathing grew louder and I pumped my arms faster. I tried to get all the way across the field --

Clunk. 

I gasped with pain and grabbed a tight hold of my suddenly throbbing wrist. All of the sunlight had disappeared around me. I was surrounded by a cube of grey metal mesh, and I'd just ran into face-first into it. I looked around, panic-stricken and unable to move. 

Then the grate began moving up, rising into the air. The fear inside of me escalated to the point of a shriek erupting from me. 

I turned back towards the direction of the person I was fleeing from (Kylo Ren) and pressed my hands against the grate, but immediately yanked them back towards me -- I'd been shocked by the wall by a forceful zap to my palms. 

I stared at my now pulsing palms in horror. 

I screamed as loud as I could, praying that Kylo Ren would hear me and come to my rescue. The scream was of such an incredible volume that it scratched at my throat. 

The cage suddenly jolted to a stop and my heart jolted past a beat when it did so. All I could hear was metal grinding, and then the sound of my own frantic breaths. I could physically feel my heart pounding in my chest. Following the grinding was the creaking sound of the cage I'd been trapped in, moving inch-by-inch to the ground, and I instantly knew it was Kylo Ren's doing. 

A small shrivel of hope lit up inside of me. I had faith that he would save me. That he would bring me to the ground and restore his ownership of me. In that moment, I wanted his possessive tendencies. I preferred it over abduction.

The small shrivel of hope was completely demolished and extinguished when the deafening sound of laser guns roared in my ears. The ships that were capturing me were shooting at whoever my rescuer was (most likely Kylo Ren). What replaced the small glint of hope was the bulky sensation of overwhelming sinking. 

Tears escaped my eyes as the cage was reeled into the ship and, faintly, I heard two explosions. 

I couldn't help but wonder if Kylo Ren was dead. I blankly stared at the mesh in front of me and felt the ship ascend into the atmosphere. 

I distantly heard muttering but I didn't bother paying close attention to it. My mind was ridden of all thought except for the horrendous wonder of whether Kylo Ren was alive or not. 

I didn't know how much time had passed, but it felt like hours. I wasn't sure of who had abducted me, but somehow I knew it was The Resistance. I didn't know exactly where Kylo Ren was, but I was positive that I'd heard explosions and gunshots.

I felt emotionless. I know I should've felt worried, or scared, or courageous, or maybe should've been planning my escape, but I felt . . . Nothing. I wasn't sure whether my emptiness was due to the flashbacks I was suffering of the last time I'd been kidnapped or to the fact that I'd been kidnapped again or due to the thoughts of what The Resistance was going to do to me. Maybe it was a little bit of all three.