Chapter Twenty-One

I didn't fall asleep until long after Kylo Ren had turned to face the other way and clearly slipped into a deep slumber. I listened to his resonating breaths as the night progressed into the early morning. I finally fell asleep after ages of laying and fearfully contemplating. 

_____  

I woke up in the morning slowly, and then the events of the night before played over in my head and I was wide awake within seconds. I sat straight up, realized I had no clothes on, and hastily yanked the comforter up to cover my chest. 

I then realized that Kylo Ren wasn't in the bed next to me and I was relieved for two reasons; last night (awkward), and my barely-clothed self (more awkward). 

There was a note on the nightstand. Not letting the comforter fall from me, I reached over and grabbed the tiny piece of paper. 

'Nira, 

Meet me in the training arena twenty minutes later than usual today.

Kylo'

I got out the bed really quickly and hurriedly pulled my nightgown over me. I shivered because of the chilled temperatures in the cell and walked over with my arms tightly wrapped around myself to see the time. 

I had ten minutes to get ready and down to the arena. Great. 

I rushed around until I was ready and then walked out the cell door. I was really perplexed by the fact that yesterday he was so set in the idea that I would never leave his side but today he's letting me walk to the training arena without any type of supervision. How confusing. At this point, nothing really could surprise me -- it's Kylo Ren we're talking about here. 

I made my way quickly to the training room and I was mere seconds late. He was standing inside the room, waiting for me and pacing around. 

Upon my arrival, his pacing ceased and he turned to face me. He donned all of his jet-black and intimidating armor, including the mask which changed his voice so significantly. 

"Nira." My name emerged from his mask. I stared at his mask that towered so high above me and neglected to respond. I didn't know what to do. 

I was so amazed that Kylo Ren wasn't awkward in these situations. After the intensity of last night under the comforter I was quite impressed that he could summon me and talk to me like nothing had happened. Well, not only was I impressed, but I was a little . . . I don't know, annoyed? Confused? 

Does he even care?, I thought worriedly. I wanted him to care. I needed him to care. What if he was just using me? 

"Today we need to talk about some topics that involve your safety and how to ensure it while you're at The First Order. Sit." He ordered. Kylo Ren then used The Force. A big square of the black floor slid to the side and a sleek black table and tall black chairs rose on opposite sides of the table rose from the hole. The floor slid black underneath the furniture and he sat down. 

I tentatively sat at the chair facing him. He sat with perfect posture and I imitated him. 

"As I just explained, we need to discuss-"

"Why did you do that last night?" I blurted out, interrupting him. I couldn't contain the question that had been brimming in my mouth since his hand left my back the past night in the bed. It threatened to burst out when I first saw him today in the training arena and the question finally erupted at the most inopportune time -- in the middle of one of his sentences.

Kylo Ren was silent for a few long moments. He just stared me down through that mask -- oh, how I abhorred that mask that took away the privilege of seeing his gorgeous face and hearing his real voice.