Chapter Sixty-Four

I anxiously began dashing away from the vicinity of the deathly arena and into (surely) more lethal territories. The only weapon I had was myself, and I was completely okay with it.

_____

Apart from the obnoxious blaring of the alarms, all I could hear was my heavy breathing. I gasped for air as I forced myself to keep dashing through the corridors of the nightmarish base.

I had no clue where I was going. I wouldn't have known where to go with the lights on, let alone off (with the exception of red flashing lights that were in sync with the sirens).

All I could do was make split-second decisions on whether to turn left or right when I did reach an option in the hallway. I couldn't help but wonder -- with terror -- whether I was headed closer to the outer rims of the base or if I was only burying myself deeper inside of it.

I then thought of the hell I would have to face if they caught me, and that horrendous thought nearly made me stop in my tracks out of pure, cold fear.

I knew I had to keep going, no matter what. If I was only getting myself further into the base, then whatever -- I had tried my best at escaping. If I ended up really getting out, then great!

I continued to sprint as fast as I could. My adrenaline partially kept away the lactic acid that was rapidly seeming to fill up my limbs to the brim. Fear was my motivation. The thought of torture was what kept my going.

Directly in front of me, I saw a thick slab of metal -- a door, I presumed -- begin to descend from the ceiling. They were going to shut me into a hallway. They were going to trap me. My stomach dropped and my heart stopped for a fraction of a second.

I then mindlessly pushed myself to run a little bit faster. I slid feet-first under the metal, which was dangerously close to the ground.

In fact, the door was just a little too close to the metal floor.

I was yanked backwards directly after I slid under, and I let out a cry of pain. My scalp felt like it was on fire because a large chunk of my hair had gotten stuck under the metal door. The metal door was now fused with the ground.

I tried to gently ease my locks out of a possible crack at the bottom, but it was no use. I couldn't. My hair was stuck tight under the door.

I then moved my eyes back and forth -- I could barely move my head side-to-side because of the fact that my hair was stuck under a metal door -- to see my surroundings. The hallway was still dark and the red lights still flashed. The alarm still blared in my ears. The hallway branched off in two different directions perpendicular to the hallway I had just run in.

I tried to take a moment to figure out what to do, but then my intense thought process was interrupted by a peculiar specific sound that sent me into a complete, mindless, insane panic.

Heavy footsteps echoed down the hallway and I distantly heard an angry scream. I slowly looked to my left and saw, fifty meters down, that my prisoner opponent had gotten into the hallways as well. He had noticed my laying on the ground, nearly helpless.

He began full-on charging towards me. I gasped and tried to think of any possible way out, but I could only think of one and it would be extremely painful.

However, I had no other options.

I gripped on the middle of the chunk of my hair that was stuck under the door. I hesitated because of my mind-consuming fear of the pain that was about to come. Then I thought about the psychotic being who was sprinting at me and that caused me to act immediately.