Chapter Seventy-Seven

I faintly heard Kubos muttering words of reassurance and attempted condolence, but I couldn't hear anything. My mind was blank with pure heartbroken suffering.

Eventually, everything went dark.

_____

I woke up and the first thing I felt was a severe pounding in my head. I tightly shut my eyes together, trying to block out the pain, but it refused to diminish. 

I finally mustered the strength open my eyes and was immediately greeted by a great, insanely bright light. I shut my eyes again quickly, and omitted a quiet, tired grunt. 

"Are you awake?" A voice echoed and filled my entire head. I shook my head and clutched at my scalp as another pang of pain ran through my head. 

"Nira, I know you're awake. Sit up." The voice commanded. My body felt so heavy with exhaustion. My face felt dry and my eyes felt swollen. 

"Nira." The voice obligated with more authority and threat. I forced myself to slowly sit up. My eyelids felt like they were being held down by something, but I knew it was actually only because of how tired I was. 

I dragged my heavy eyelids upwards. My vision was blurry for a few moments, and then I saw Kubos. I was still in the training arena. 

I blinked a few times and was significantly less tired than before. 

"Why am I still here? What . . ." My voice trailed off as the horrific memories of my epic mental breakdown began streaming back into my head. 

Kubos gazed down at me. He looked concerned, and I still didn't trust him enough to desire his concern for me. 

"I figured it'd be best if I didn't take you to the infirmary. I didn't think you would've wanted that." He hastily explained why I was still in the training arena.

I nodded suspiciously. "How long was I out?"

"Only a few minutes." Kubos calmly assured me. For some reason, I could not get myself to trust him. 

I used my hands to push myself to my feet. Kubos stood up as well. His impressive height was almost intimidating. 

"I should go." I said, avoiding eye contact and looking down at my feet. 

"Okay," Kubos started, "I'm sorry I hit you earlier." 

I sighed, glanced up at him, and then looked back at my feet. "It's fine." 

I began walking towards the exit when he called, "Do you think we can still be acquaintances?" 

I stopped in my tracks and considered the option. I didn't know if his threat about revealing my secrets still remained -- if not, I would've told him that I didn't wish to be related to him in any way except for being fellow apprentices. If he was still going to rat Kylo Ren and I out, then yes, I was still going to be his acquaintance. I didn't explain this logic to him, however. 

Keeping Kylo Ren's safety in mind, I reluctantly answered, "Yes." 

I then kept advancing away from him, not wanting to speak with Kubos further. I was embarrassed by how horrible my mental breakdown had been and angry with myself for so easily opening up to Kubos. I was afraid that if I began talking about such a sensitive subject again that I would break down . . . Again. I hated feeling weak, therefore I hated breakdowns.

I exited the training arena and hurried back to my cell without bidding Kubos goodbye. 

It was as late as he had indicated. I felt as if I were about to collapse into a deep slumber as soon as I walked over the threshold to my cell; however, my thoughts were the thing that kept me up for several more hours into the night.