Chapter Eighteen

The footsteps and voices and gun sounds faded into the distance but Kylo Ren continued to hold me in the dark long after they departed. 

_____

***

A few hours passed with us and the dark. I stopped crying and, eventually, Kylo Ren turned on the lights tentatively. He let me out of his grasp rather carelessly -- no lingering was involved, no final stroke of the hair, no nothing. He just let go of me, walked to the opposite wall, and slipped his helmet over his head. 

Kylo Ren then walked to me. "We're going upstairs. I can't sense any of The Resistance right now but I have no means of communication so I don't know if it's safe or not. We have to be careful." He then turned and began ascending the ladder. 

I looked after him, wondering if him holding me for the past few hours had meant anything to him. I assumed it didn't and I felt a little sinking feeling in my stomach, but then again, was I really that surprised? This is Kylo Ren, people.

I followed him up the black metal rungs and he pushed open the floor. He took a moment to get out of the secret entrance, looking left and right. After he did exit the bunker, Kylo Ren extended a hand to me. I grasped his hand and even though my head was the only thing out of the hole, he pulled me up without stress. 

Kylo Ren extended his palm above the hole, shut off the lights with The Force, and pushed the floor back over the bunker. 

He reached into his belt and pulled out a small silver cylindrical object. I watched all of these actions with awe. He seemed so confident and domineering with everything he did. It was slightly entertaining to watch. 

His hand applied pressure to the cylinder and as fast as light itself, a red laser shot out from the top and the sides of the cylinder -- the side lasers were much shorter than the top, maybe only a fifth of it's size. 

I jumped and my eyes widened involuntarily. "It's a lightsaber. Only for caution." He spoke quietly in that dull mechanic voice. He turned away from me, swung it in a circle, and began prowling forward. I'd heard of a lightsaber before that moment, I just hadn't seen one.

Before every turn he would stick his arm backwards, press his palm to my chest, and hold me back.

When we finally returned to his quarters, I sat on the bed and tucked my knees into my chest. Kylo Ren immediately withdrew his lightsaber and pulled a small black square out of a slit in the panel by the door. He set it on the waist-high dresser and pressed a few buttons. In nanoseconds a blue hologram was displayed above us.

It was a man I didn't know. Kylo Ren began talking to him. 

"General Hux." Kylo Ren's mechanical voice greeted.  

"Kylo Ren." The man greeted back. He sounded pompous, and I instantly didn't like him.

"Are there any stragglers?" Kylo Ren asked. "No. They've all been rounded up and taken care of." 

I continued listening intently to their conversation concerning The Resistance rebels. I was only curious, but the next phrases they interchanged caused the hairs on my arm to raise, my blood to boil, and my heart to chill. 

"When is the execution?" Kylo Ren questioned, folding his arms. "It's tomorrow midday. We're attempting to get information out of them first." The pompous man called General Hux said. Now I really didn't like him. I hated him.

Kylo Ren exited from the hologram without a dismissal and slid the hologram displaying machine back into the panel. 

"You're going to kill them?" I exclaimed, untucking my knees so my feet grazed the floor. "Yes." Kylo Ren answered as if I was an imbecile. I scrutinized him, squinting my eyes. Disgust filled me from head to toe. I stood up.