chapter 1

[Megan's POV]

I woke up to the sounds of growls down below me. the sun was rising, a light mist covered my face. I closed my eyes for another 5 seconds before unzipping my sleeping bag and grabbing the thick branch above me. I was high up in a tree, it's where I like to sleep. I had a wide hammock hanging easily 100 feet above the ground out of site from whatever walked below me. It made me feel safe, who looks up for zombies?

The hammock was wide enough for 2 people, deep enough I wouldn't roll out, and spacious enough to use my backpack as a pillow, my bow and arrows lying next to me. I've called this tree home for the past few months, hunting whatever wildlife around me.

Hanging onto the branch above the hammock I pulled my self up and straddled it, looking down at the forest floor. Two zombies growled under me, their teeth snapping. Infected do have a great sense of smell. I leaned down and grabbed my bow from the hammock and knocked an arrow onto the string, pointing it down at the dead below me. It only took 30 seconds to take them both out.

I sighed before grabbing the long rope that was tightly tied around the start of the branch I was sitting on. Unraveling it, I threw it down hearing the end of the rope slap the ground below me. it took me a minute to grab my back pack and climb down the tree using the rope, it's not the greatest process but it's the safest. I ripped my two arrows from the zombies skulls and wiped them off on their clothes.

"thanks..." I mumbled.

I took off down a warn path through the forest. I had a few snares set up along the river bank, it was a simple slip knot made with a metal wire, a lot of rabbit run around near here and all animals have to drink.

I could hear the sound of moving water ahead and I moved between some bushes onto the rocky shore that ran through the woods for miles. it's more of a stream now, water levels have been decreasing rapidly, we haven't seen rain for weeks. I stared down the bank of the river for any movement.

"no way..." I gasped.

A good sized deer tipped it's head down getting a drink of water. I haven't seen a deer up here since I set up camp. The deer was in range, so I slowly pulled an arrow out of my quiver that rested on my back, and placed the end of it on the bow string. I pulled it back and aimed it at the deers neck. I was about to let it go and-

*BANG*

I quickly crouched down and back up into the bushes. I pulled a branch down and looked where my prize had been standing, I'm sure he ran off, spooked by the gun shot. The deer lay dead on the rocks where I last seen it. I waited for who ever was stealing my deer to come out of the trees and take his kill, maybe it's  hunters... The hunters where a rather large gang that control most communities around here. Mostly try to avoid him and his bandana wearing employees.

finally, somebody came out and walked towards the dead deer. I couldn't get a good look at him from this far away but I could see he was tall, short dark hair I think. he had some kind of hat or something sitting on top of his head, maybe goggles? he had a black bandana wrapped around his face blocking me from getting any further details.

I watched the man gut the deer and clean it taking out what ever meat it had and wrapping it and placing it in his pack. I waited for him to turn a head back the way he had came, once it looked clear I crossed the stream over to the dead deer. it was very small and very thin, not like how it looked from a distance. I stared into the forest where the man had went and then back into the direction of my camp. I wasn't about to let this deer go, I deserved it after what I've been through.

hey guys I know it seems a little lame right now but I promise it's gonna get better within the chapters.

>>>don't be a silent reader!<<<
VOTE,
COMMENT,
AND
FOLLOW