chapter 18

***you will figure out what the inside of this pic is. no spoilers! ;)***

[10k's POV]

it had been a bit over a week after rescuing Megan and she seemed fine now, she was a little more opened up to the group. but Addy on the other hand... ever since what happened she changed a little. she's gotten more aggressive, and she always zones out in her thoughts. Mack's worried sick about her.

we where driving down a long road with noting around us but sand. I was in the bed of the truck, as usual, standing up holding onto the rail overlooking the front of the car. my sniper laid across the roof of the truck and I put my eye to the scope and looked ahead. a moving figure was slowly walking towards us on the side of the road, it looked like just a kid... 'I give you mercy' I thought to myself aiming at his head. I was about to pull the trigger but he stopped and tied his shoe and then kept going.

"no way..." I said out loud.

"what is it," Megan asked sitting behind me.

I kneeled down and knocked on the back window and it slid open.

"what's up kid," Doc said.

"we got a live one... it's just a kid," I told him.

he told Warren and when we got to him we pulled over and she rolled her window down. the kid was a young boy, he had a flowery shirt on, weird, and short blonde hair.

"hey kid," Warren said.

"hi..." he replied.

"what's your name?" she asked him.

"Sam," he answered.

Megan sat up at his name and then looked down at her hands. I was gonna ask what was wrong but Warren cut me off.

"where you headed?" she asked.

"to see my dad," he said.

"where's he at, maybe we can give you a ride?" she said.

"salt lake city," he answered.

that was 10-15 miles back? it's all Z's now there's nobody living there? this kid would never manage to get their on his own.

"how old are you Sam?" Warren asked.

"13," he said.

we ended up giving the kid a ride but it sure wasn't to Salt Lake City. he said his mom lived back down towards the road and they had food which we where currently out of. we drove a few miles down before approaching large gates in some weird canyons.

"you sure this is it?" Doc asked getting out of the truck.

a single gun shot went off landing in the dirt next to him and he flinched to the side falling to the ground. I swung around pointing my sniper on top of the canyon where a lady stood holding a automatic rifle at us.

"get back in your car and leave!" she yelled at us.

"we got your boy!" Warren yelled getting out of the car her hands in the air.

Sam stepped out of the car and sat in the opened and waved at the lady.

"lower your weapons," the lady said.