chapter 13

***above is all the stuff that belongs to Megan. clothes, weapons, knifes, archer gloves, gun holster, back pack. ***

[Megan's POV]

>>>flash back<<<

I ran into the house and slammed the door behind me.

"mom! dad!" I called out.

my mom walked around the corner relived to see me and gave me a giant hug.

"are you alright nothing bit or scratched you?" she asked.

I shook my head no and she handed me something. I took it from her, feeling the black fabric and pulled the handle reviewing a silver knife. I looked at my mom with concern.

"you never use this unless you have to ok," she told me.

I shook my head and put the knife back in its case and buttoned it the the side of my jeans. I noticed my dad packing all kinds of stuff on the table, he had his bow set out and mine was laying next to his.

"where are we going," I asked.

"to the cabin," he firmly said.

the tv was on and suddenly started to make noise.

"attention! if your hearing this broadcast you need to stay inside your homes and lock doors! repeat! stay inside your homes and lock the doors! a bite from an infected is lethal and will be cause of death and turning. infected will not stop unless taken a shot to the head"

the broadcast turned off and my dad went back to quickly packing. he handed me my small black single string bow and arrows and I looked at him in fear. I was only 16 for God sakes none of this was making sense.

it was just a regular day at school until a somebody started biting into a teacher so I booked it all the way home.

"Sam let's go!" my mom yelled.

my 7 year old brother came running down the stairs with his spider man back pack on and he ran to me hugging my legs.

"I'm scared Megan," he said.

I bent down and hugged him and brushed his hair from his face.

"where gonna be ok alright Sammy," I smiled at him.

he nodded his head and my dad started carrying things into the garage and throwing them in the back of the truck. we all helped load things up and then piled into the car and my dad open the garage door and backed out. as we road into the streets people where running around and eating each other. I sat in the back seat with Sam and he leaned over burying his head in my lap. I looked out my window at my house for the last time and we sped off.

***one month later***

we made it to the cabin after 2 days of driving, and in those two days I've seen some bad stuff pass by the moving car window. we settled in and found it was really quiet out in the woods, we almost never see infected this far. we get radio broadcasts here and there and get some good survival tips and instructions. to be honest I don't think we really need them, my dad use to be in the military and before that he was a hunter.

within the month of being up here he's taught all of us how to survive. he taught me how to shoot a gun, use a knife, fight, and live in the woods. it's been really tough on us but we manage with what we have.

***one month later***

moms really sick and my dad left to go get medicine from a town nearby. he left me in charge of everybody and me and Sam are suppose to be keeping an eye on mom. I sat in front of the radio and spun the dials around trying to find something, anything.