chapter 38

[Megan's POV]

>>>one week later<<<

I rubbed the tooth shaped necklace between my fingers as the group walked down street of the small town we where strolling threw. we still hadn't come across a working car I find that we just stopped looking. I let go of the necklace letting it hang on the chain and held my bow up, an arrow already latched onto the string, ans fired it at a nearby Z's head.

"good shot," 10k said walking next to me.

"thanks," I said pulling the arrow from the dead corpse.

I clipped the arrow back onto the string of my bow and then stopped turning my head. is that a car?

"let's get off the street," Gavin said hearing the noise as well.

but it was to late to hide a black suburban came into view and suddenly we where taking fire. me and 10k ran to one side of the street ducking behind a car and the rest of the group had settled on the other side into an alley way. I watched the rest of the group disappear into safety why me and 10k where still in the open.

"now what?" he asked me peeking over at the parked cars.

men with guns stood over the suburbans ready to fire at any movement.

"who even are these people?" I said.

"looks like zeros men..." he answered.

I scanned my surroundings over and looked for an escape plan and stopped looking down at my feet. well not my feet exactly... but what lay underneath them.

"help me open this," I said bending down.

together we opened the lid off a sewer hatch and stared down into a dark pit with a ladder to guide it.

"are you serious?" 10k looked at me.

"pick your poison, rats or people," I smirked.

he looked back over at the gang of people and dropped down into the circular hole and started climbing down. I followed after him and slid the metal lid back over in place closing us in. I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle of their faces seeing that nobody was behind that car and we just disappeared like magic. 10k threw me a weird look but didn't bother to ask and started walking a random direction. I looked around the sewers and it reminded me of something from ninja turtles when they lived in the sewers. the only difference was these sewers where dried up and empty from lack of use. I didn't even see any rats, it was silent.

"I think we can get out here," 10k said looking up a different ladder.

we climbed up and he lifted the lid up sliding it over and peeking his head up. he said it was clear and climbed out and I followed behind him. I looked around as we stood in the center of a street with houses on either sides of us. it was getting dark I hadn't even realized it was this late.

"we should stop and make plans to find the others in the morning," I said.

10k nodded and we walked into a small one story house and found the front door unlocked. I slowly crept into the house with my machete in hand. it was dark inside and hard to see but I could make out a moving figure behind the kitchen counter. Z's don't hide...? I dropped my machete and held my bow up at the counter.

"come out," I said firmly.

10k walked up with a flashlight and pointed it at the kitchen. a single figure slowly rose his hands up in the air. he was tall, brown hair and had a black sweatshirt on.

"who are you," I asked.

"my names Cole, I'm just looking for shelter for the night," he said.

the way he spoke threw me off, his sentences where very planned and organized for somebody all alone.

"lower your weapons and you'll live," a female voice spoke.

I slowly turned and noticed a women standing behind us with a cross bow pointed at me.

"ok let's all just lower our weapons for nobody gets shot here," Cole spoke.

"tell her to lower hers first," I said.

Cole gave the women a look motioning her to lower her weapon and she did but not happily.

"your turn," Cole said.

I lowered my bow relaxing the string and we all stared at each other.

"that's Red, what are your folks names?" Cole asked.

"names 10k," he said first.

"Megan," I answered.

I looked over at Red seeing why she got the name. her hair was a red color like Addy's and I could make out her blue eyes from the dim lighting. they both looked pretty young. once greet and meet was over we all lit candles around the room and awkwardly sat in the living room. my guard was up of course but I felt that these people wanted nothing but a peaceful night.

"so what brings you into our small town?" Cole asked.

"where with a group but we got separated," 10k answered.

"you say our town? is there more of you?" I asked.

the two looked at each other and nodded before facing us again.

"this town is called Orcutt, we have a good set up in one of the other neighborhoods. if you want to find your friends that's the best place for them to stumble upon," Cole explained.

"where happy to take you their, where always needing help and you two seem very capable," Red spoke.

"it's worth a try," 10k said looking over at me.

I thought about it a good while settling out the pros and cons in my head. if this set up there's is really where the group might end up I'm sure that has to be our best bet rather then sitting out here. I did just meet these people ten minutes ago how can I trust them?

"we where attacked before we got split up, where those your men?" I asked.

"no, those where the bandits you must of run into. they've been stirring up trouble since the beginning, they tend to leave us alone most of the time if we stay out of their boundaries," Cole said.

"ok, morning you show us your town," I agreed.

hey guys I know it's been a while and I'm sorry but here's a chapter for you hope you enjoyed!

>>>don't be a silent reader!<<<
VOTE
COMMENT
AND
FOLLOW:)