chapter 12

***1 week later***

[10k's POV]

I wiped the sweat dripping down my forehead and looked up at the beating sun. it's been so hot lately even the Z's are cooking and baking in the sun. we hadn't left the house for a week, we've been waiting for Megan to heal before we started tracking again. she was up and around now walking, we should be moving on soon I just don't know where yet. she wants to get to the woods on the other side of the city, it's about a day's drive to get there, and I've been stalling about it the past few days. Megan could have started traveling again a few days back but to be honest, I'm afraid to be alone again...

I shook my thoughts away and walked up the drive way. I stepped into the house that was a litter cooler if you kept all the doors shut.

"that was a fast run?" Megan said from the couch.

I looked at her laying on the couch an old magazine in her hands. she had taken her old blue jeans I tore up and turned them into shorts.

"there's nothing left to find I've searched the entire neighborhood," I shrugged.

"already?" she said shocked.

I nodded my head and walked to the dining table and dumped out every I had found. Megan got off the couch and joined next to me to witness.

"what are these?" she said picking up a gear.

"it's a washing machine gear, I use them in my slingshot there easy to find," I told her.

"you've been killing zombies with washing machine parts?" she chuckled.

I took the gear from her hand, "yes".

I smiled as I put the gears away and started going through the rest of the supplies. I found a little aspirin and some canned peaches and beans but that was about it, anything else had been stripped away years ago.

"when are we leaving?" Megan asked.

"what do you mean?" I said.

"I'm well enough to travel and there's no reason to stay here so why not go?" she said.

I sighed, "alright, get packed then".

we packed our stuff and loaded the truck up and headed down the road. I turned the AC on the realizing air blowing on my skin. Megan twirled her hair in the passenger seat and looked out the window. she had a little bit of trust in me now but she does still keep her thoughts to her self.

"where will you go," she asked breaking the silence.

I thought about it a sec, "back into the cities, my old routs I guess...".

"I'll probably go deep in the woods, put my set up back together like old times," she told me.

she smiled at the thought of going back into the forest, alone again. she clearly had no problem with it, she was ok with the loneliness. I sighed and it got quiet again.

*
*
*

it's been a hours, we drove all night taking shift at the wheel. I was driving right now and Megan was quietly staring out her window. we where on a single road with fields on both sides of us. we should be nearly there.

"what is that...?" Megan said getting my attention.

I looked up ahead and then slowed to a stop. ahead I could see a mountain of trees, the forest we had been aiming for and it was... it was on fire...

"my god..." I whispered.

the whole mountain was a bright red, black smoke rising into the sky. I put the truck in reverse and turned around and taking off in the other direction.

"wait! where you going?" Megan yelled.

"away from here!" I told her.

"no we can't! there's got to be something left to that forest this was my plan!" she yelled.

"no! your plan was go go play Indian in the trees not burn in the fire!" I yelled back.

I was a little shocked from what I just said.

"you don't get it do you... I don't just live in the woods, I hide in them. for I don't have to go through what I did out here..." she calmly said.

"your right I don't get it, I don't get you! you hide yourself from everything, if where gonna survive together I need to know you have my back?" I told her.

"I can't do this, stop the car," she said.

"wha-"

she unbuckled her seat belt and started to open the door so I stopped the truck right as she stepped out. I got out and ran around to her walking off the road.

"Megan wait!" I yelled after her.

"I can't do this!" she yelled.

I grabbed her arm and spun her around, "do what! talk to me!".

"watch you die!" she sobbed.

It was quiet a minute. we stared at each other, she had tears forming in her brown eyes.

"I'm not gonna die," I told her calmly.

"wake up! where all gonna die! just like they all did..." she screamed.

I looked around scanning the area, there wonderfully wasn't any Z's around.

"who, who died?" I asked.

she looked up into my eyes and frowned, "everyone I ever knew..."

hey guys sorry I didn't post yesterday I was busy I hope you like this chapter though!

>>>don't be a silent reader!<<<
VOTE
COMMENT
AND
FOLLOW:)