chapter 5

*Megan's bow and quiver above*

[Megan's POV]

"Let's take a minute," I said slumping my bag down in the dirt. Together we had been walking for hours with a few breaks in between, to be honest, I felt a little slowed down. 10k doesn't move as fast threw the woods as I can. I still wasn't comfortable with him being with me, but their was something I needed him for so I had to keep him around...

"Why? we stopped not that long ago," he asked.
I kneeled down and examined a small set of tracks on the ground. I followed it a few yards and stopped when the tracks cut off in front of a tall pine tree. I stood up and scanned the branches for any movement, when I didn't see anything I tried my luck by picking up a pebble and tossing it through the canopy. A branch shuffled a bit and I found my target. I took a step back and aimed my bow at the spot that moved, when the arrow left the string and went flying threw the twigs I heard a dying squeak and then a thud of something hitting the ground. I walked up to a dead squirrel with an arrow sticking out of its head. I grabbed the arrow and ripped it out and picked up my dinner.

"How did you learn to shoot like that?" 10k shook, looking up the tree in case he missed something.

***flashback***

"here, stand like this... and hold it like this..." his deep voice said. I held the small bow just like how he showed me and aimed it at the haystack a few yards away. I let it go and missed the target by a long shot. A deep frown painted my face as I turned away from my failed attempt.

"here, watch me," he said. I watched him take a stance just like how I was taught to and he pulled his bow back and shut one eye why he adjusted his aim. I stared at his bow a minute, knowing that one day I'll have one just like it when I grew older. when he let go, the arrow hit the center of the haystack with a quick thud.

"You're way better at this then I am," I pouted.

"Just keep trying, practice makes perfect," he smiled.

"ok daddy," I smiled.

***end of flashback***

"Practice," I told him. I picked up my squirrel and brought it over to a rock where I sat down and cleaned and skinned it. the sun would be gone soon and we had a nice small clearing in the trees.

"We should set camp up here," I said.

"Okay," 10k simply replied. I started to collect some fire wood and found some berries in a bush, non poisoned ones. I put the fire together and kept it low enough it wouldn't be seen but high enough to keep it lit and warm.

"we got company," 10k announced. I turned to see a slow moving corpse making its way towards us. 10k pulled out a sling shot from his bag and had what looked like a round piece of metal in it. He stretched it back and when he let go it went right threw the zombies head, then he mumbled, "1,461".

I rolled my eyes at his weird I'm gonna kill ten thousand zombies before I die and then become one my self. I have no idea how you even keep track of that kinda stuff.

I sat next to the fire and picked up a stick and sharpened the end of it with my knife. I stabbed my squirrel onto it and stuck it over the fire to cook. I got up letting my food roast and caught a glimpse of eyes on me. 10k just leaned against a tree with nothing to say. I walked over to him and held out a tiny bag. Curious, he looked at me and took it pouring its contents into his palm. I guess he could have the berries I found, I mean I already have food so...

"Thanks..." he said putting a berry in his mouth. I stared at him confused.

"Why do you trust me so much? How do you know those berries weren't poisoned?" I asked. Why was I getting so heated? He looked down into his palm and studied the little berries. Looking back up, a hint of coldness floated in his eyes.

"I've seen these berries before, there perfectly fine to eat..." he answered. oh... well this is weird. I stepped away avoiding any conversation and returned to my food that was nearly finished over the fire. I pulled it out of the flames and ripped a piece of meat off, it wasn't a whole lot but it will keep me going for now until I can get to the outskirts. I'll admit I miss my old set up, having a bed to come back to and not have to worry about getting eaten all the time. But this... this was life I was hoping to avoid, in the open... exposed... and not alone...

"I'll take first watch," I said. 10k nodded and put his things down where he was standing and laid his head against the tree and shut his eyes. I'm hoping you're as useful as I think you are.

hey guys hope you liked the little flashback:) the picture in the beginning is Megan's bow the second one is her quiver and arrows so now you know what it looks like!

>>>don't be a silent reader!<<<

VOTE,
COMMENT,
AND
FOLLOW