Chapter 29

Surprise! I lied. I was too excited about this, so I decided I'd post it today, instead of tomorrow.

Warning: If you are easily triggered by hurtful words and/or bullying, tread carefully. I promise I only did it for story purposes. I'm sure you are all amazing people.

Anyways, I hope you like this chapter. I tried to work hard on it. Maybe it'll pay off, maybe it won't. Without further ado, read on!

------------------------------------------------------

As you walked to meet Eric at the bus stop, you thought back to the useless attempts you made in order to try and get Jeff to speak to you. Every time you approached him, he took off in the opposite direction, or went to his room to avoid you. This went on all week.

You even stole his favorite knife, expecting that he would come barrelling towards you, full of frustration at your playful gesture. He didn't.

"What's got you so down?" Eric's voice penetrated your thoughtful state.

After a few moments of not responded, you opened your mouth and gave him a short answer. "School."

Eric nodded in understanding.

"At least it's senior year. We can be done with it soon. We just have to pass."

"Ugh," you groaned at the thought of the rest of the school year. It had only been a week, and you were already tired of school. Exasperated, you puffed out your cheeks and released a displeased breath. "I don't wanna."

"It'll be over before you know it. Promise."

You rolled your eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I'll hold you to that."

Eric hummed in response, staring at the morning sky.

You could tell Eric was deep in thought by the way his face was blank, and eyes benign.

Eric opened his mouth to speak, orbs still settled on the faraway horizon.

"What did Matt say to you the other day?" He suddenly inquired, focusing his attention on you.

Memories of the first day back to school plagued your mind, forcing you to recall everything that had happened, along with everything you had felt. Anger, hatred, humiliation, fear...

"Why?" Your sharp tone sparked an apologetic, and cautious look from the boy standing next to you.

"I was just wondering. He looked... excited and menacing at the same time. It was kind of intimidating." Eric shrugged, now treading carefully across the thin ice he had stepped foot on. "And I was worried. You're on edge every time we pass him in the hallway, or are near him in any way. I just want to make sure you're fine."

You realized Eric was asking simply because he cared. In the past week, you had come to know him pretty well. What surprised you is that he did actually have a mind of his own, one that was quite considerate and mature. It was a sort of contradiction compared to how he acted when still in the 'popular' clique. Even so, it was nice to have him as a friend. Your facial expression softened.

After minutes of silence, you answered the boy's question.

"He told me he'd 'fuck' me, because I'm apparently 'not bad'. Then he said he had all year to act on it." You murmured. Now it was you who was staring at the sky, dusk being overpowered by the oncoming dawn.

"He what?!?" Eric nearly shouted in response to you.

"You heard me."

"How are you calm? He threatened to rape you!"