Chapter 42

You perched next to Austin, sharing a bottle of brandy with the compassionate male. This was where your feet took you after your confrontation with Jax, and the explosion of your powers onto the then-powerless female. Austin had helped mend your wounds, patching them up and disinfecting them.

You didn't mean for things to go like that. Slender had wanted to you try and keep a level head, leading the others with sense and rationality. All you did was fuel the flame opposed to dousing it with water and putting it out.

Now, you regretted it. Jax hurt you, yeah. But you hurt her and caused more damage than she did. At least Toby ran over to help the female. And at least you stopped before things got worse.

Moments after Austin had helped you with your injuries, you told him about everything that happened. While you spoke, his earthy eyes glistened with amusement, curiosity, and wonder at the powers you mentioned.

Now, the two of you sat on the couch, drinking away and sharing stories from your past.

"Remember when you snuck into my house when we were in middle school, at midnight, and my mom came to see what the noise was? And she found us playing video games, eating her secret stash of fancy chocolates." You giggled at the memory. Boy, had your mother been angry. But she also understood the nature of kids at that point, and let the two of you off the hook. Well, Austin was off the hook. She didn't even tell his mom. But she did force you to help her with dinner the next few days, which you didn't mind all that much.

Austin nodded, laughing until he was almost out of breath at the faint memory that happened so many years ago.

Your fit of laughter faded, and you took a sip of the bitter liquid that burned your throat on its way down.

The boy's laughter died down, too, and his eyes focused on you, returning your gaze.

"What?"

"I'm just happy that you're back. And that you found out where your mom is." You muttered, smiling while you allowed your eyes to gently flutter shut in joy. As it turned out, Austin's mother forgot to tell him that she was spending extra time with her sister, or his aunt, because she fell ill and needed company.

"Me too." He flashed a grin, exposing his white teeth. "I've missed this place."

You nodded, staring at the wall. It felt lonely, without Wolff. And it felt different, in some way, shape, or form. You couldn't explain why the house had a different aura that engulfed it, but it did, and it got increasingly unsettling the more you thought about it.

"Well, I better get back to the house and explain myself to, well... Everyone?" You laughed softly, your sweet voice ringing out.

Austin nodded, taking you into his arms in a friendly embrace. "See you later, (y/n)."

"Later, ace."

When you and Austin finally parted from your hug, you took off into the crisp air, trudging through the forest, towards the house you had been living in for a while, now.

When you got to the house, it was evening time, and you realized your stomach had been growling like a hungry tiger for the past half hour or so. The emptiness of the organ became clear to you- you hadn't eaten anything all day, and now, the only thing in your stomach was the bit of brandy you drank at Austin's.

Grumbling, you entered the house, wasting no time in shuffling over to the kitchen. You began your hunt for food, ransacking the drawers and refrigerator until you found all the ingredients you were looking for. You were going to make THE ultimate sandwich, then have a slice of the (favorite flavor) cake you made last night, and it was going to taste like heaven. Or what you imagined heaven to taste like, at least.