Chapter 38

"Did you see the look on that man's face?" You giggled, resting your hand on the pale boy's shoulder as the two of you shuffled through the forest.

Jeff couldn't suppress his wild laughter as he thought about the aforementioned man.

You and Jeff had just finished up a short killing spree- two house, in the past hour. That's all you had time to do before sirens could be heard. The last victim- a man, who looked to be in his 40's- had the most terrified look on his face that you had ever seen. But it wasn't aimed towards you or Jeff, initially. The man... He saw a spider. A little, black spider crawling along the beige wall of his bedroom. He shrieked like a young child, and cowered under his blankets. That was what plagued you and Jeff with insane fits of giggling and laughter.

"Ah, that was a good one." Jeff chuckling, slipping his arm around your waist as he stepped over the fallen branches and crisp leaves littering the forest floor.

You leaned into him as you walked, grinning. Jeff had made sure that the victims deserved to die, so the two of you could enjoy the killings together.

The sun cast blazing hues of red and orange across the land as it allowed itself to be dragged down towards the horizon, signaling the nighttime was arriving. It seemed to set the forest ablaze in its fiery glow, lighting up the silhouette of the trees against the fading sky.

"When we get back, do you want to-" You paused, stopping in your tracks.

Jeff halted a few paces ahead of you, turning to look back at you.

"What?" He asked.

You pressed a finger to your lips in a silencing motion, intently listening to the sounds around you.

You heard branches snapping, and footsteps crunching the leaves beneath them. From where, however, you could not tell.

"Someone's here." You murmured, slinking up to Jeff and taking out your stained blade. Jeff mirrored your actions, removing his own knife from the pocket of his hoodie.

The noises transgressed from the ground up to the trees, the rustling of leaves and branches heard overhead.

You got into a ready stance, eyes focusing on the shaking tree in front of you.

Within the blink of an eye, a figure cloaked in black hopped down from the tree, rapidly swinging two long katanas at you and Jeff.

You dodged nimbly, hopping to the side as a blade sliced the air right where you were standing a moment prior.

Jeff sidestepped to the opposing side.

The figure, who hadn't anticipated your movements realized their mistake as they leaned forward, weight carrying them further than they wished, exposing a weak spot.

Jeff used this chance to ram into the mysterious person, slamming them down to the ground.

You rushed over, easily disarming the figure and kicking the wicked blades out of reach.

"Violet!" A feminine voice emitted from the figure, piercing the air.

Loud barks could be heard as something approached the scene, rapidly.

A dog burst forth from the bushes, latching onto Jeff's arm, its jaws clamped around his bicep.

Jeff grunted, and whipped his arm around, trying to dislodge the canine's teeth from his arm.

Before the figure could get up, you pinned their body down, holding your knife to their throat. Only now did you take the time to analyze your attacker.