9. Jealously

Allison

Monday came around the corner, and my mom still hasn't found out about the whole 'party' situation. I found it quite amusing though, due to how strict she was. I guess strict parents create the most sneaky kids.

After doing my usual morning routine, I strapped my bag over my shoulders, and skipped downstairs, to where my mother was. She was in the kitchen, wrapped in her white, fluffy bath robe with a towel wrapped around her head. To my assumptions, she'd just stepped out of the shower.

"Hey mama". I greet, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a quick breakfast bar. She spins around on her heels, until she's facing me. She had a coffee mug held up to her lips, with steaming hot smog rising from the cup. "Morning sweetheart". She acknowledges, sipping her beverage.

"I'm heading to school now, so I'll see you in a few hours". I state.

Before turning to walk away, she engulfs me into a hug. "Bye baby". She whispers amongst me, while unravelling her fingers through my flowing brown hair. She quickly pecks my cheek before releasing me.

I tightened my grip on my backpack straps as I leave the house. I decided to not to drive my car to school. It was too low on fuel and I didn't want to spend sixty bucks on a gas. I could buy like twelve Starbuck fraps with that much money. Instead, I decided to get a ride from the city bus.

***

School consisted with the same old, boring routine. Full AP classes, a whole hour of gym class, being harassed by annoying teachers, and surrounded by a bunch of hormonal teenagers. I was excited for this week though, considering that it's the last week before spring break. All I have to do, is suffer another four days, and then it's done!

I unloaded all of my school supplies, and tossed them into my locker. In replacement, I grabbed my jacket that I wore this morning and stuffed it into my bag.

My friend Jamie walked out with me. She's practically my second best friend besides Cameron. We've known each other since our middle school years. Jamie was every girls dream bestie. Despite her annoyingly strong, obsession over Justin Bieber, she's a pretty great person. Just a little crazy from time to time. She was a 5'6 Brazilian immigrant. She moved from Brazil to Cali in grade seven, and we instantly became friends. She had long dark hair—ombré and curly, and had the eyes of chocolate fudge. Not to mention her sun-kissed dark skin.

"Wait up!" Jamie hollered, running after me, as a I walked the hallway.
She rushed to my side, catching her breath. I was quite in a hurry, due to the fact that I had to catch the bus home. I didn't want to be late.

"What are you doing spring break?" She asks, as we exit through some double doors, leading to outside. I shrugged.
"Probably sleep. Eat. Watch movies. Read books. And-"

"Wooow, so basic". Jamie laughs, as she pulls out her car keys. "Do you need a ride home?"

Before I could answer, a car honked their horn, frightening me. The sound came from behind—my instincts telling me to turn around. And that's exactly what I did. I turned around to see a familiar black Ford, sitting in the school parking lot. Cameron's of course.

I guess Jamie noticed too, because she turned around the same time as I did. I heard her sigh— a long and deep one.

"Never mind. I guess you got Cameron to drive you home. See you tomorrow Al". Jamie says. I turn to her, but as I did, she was already gone. Disappeared through mid air.

I forgot that she and Cam held this strong hatred towards each other. They were always jealous of one another. Fighting over whose friend I was. It was stupid.

I turned back to Cameron, whose head hung out the window. Awaiting for me. As if I were day-dreaming, he honked the horn again.

"What are you doing here?" I asked through gritted teeth, as I slowly approached him. He was causing a scene due to his continuous honking.

Cameron gestured to the passengers side. "I'll drive you home, hop in". I didn't bother to ask any questions. I didn't want to cause an argument like I did on Saturday.

I obediently got into his truck, setting my bag in the back seat, and buckling up my seatbelt. Cameron put the car in reverse and slowly backed out of his spot. He dodged all of the juniors hanging in the parking lot, honking at anyone who got in his way.

It was about ten minutes into the ride, when I began to speak up.
"Y'know, you got to stop trying to make Jamie mad". I suggest. Cameron turned slightly and peered at me— a devilish grin plastered amongst his face. "What? I'm not!" He retorts, as if he were being accused of a crime. I roll my eyes. "Uhh, yeah you are. Every time Jamie tries to do something with me, ya always gotta butt in and take me away from her".

There was a long pause, probably meaning I defeated him. "I'm not just your friend. I have other friends too".

"Whatever. I was just trying to be nice". Cameron shrugs. "And plus, making Jamie jealous is kinda fun".

I rolled my eyes yet again, glancing out the window, when a thought came to mind. I laughed. "Oh yeah. Speaking of jealously, I'm going on a date with Shea this weekend".

As soon as I said Shea, the car came to an immediate stop, almost making me jolt out of my seat. My glance first goes to Cameron who was staring straight ahead. Then it goes to the scenery outside. We were back at my place.

Before he could get mad at me, I grabbed my bag from the back seat, and opened the door. "Thanks for the ride". I say, stepping out and shutting the door.

As I walked towards my house, I realized that that was probably the most dramatic, yet bitchiest thing I've ever done. I felt a pinch of guilt, twisting at my insides. I wanted to turn around and apologize, but at the same time, I didn't.

I decided to go ahead and just apologize. I didn't want to be known as the worlds shitiest friend. Not that I already wasn't.

I turned around and walked back towards the vehicle. I opened up the door to see Cameron still staring through the front window. His face was expressionless, not even showing a tad bit of emotion.

"I'm sorry". I say. "I didn't mean to do that, it's just that-"

"He's my friend, Allison". Cameron interrupts, continuing to stare. Uh oh. It's never a good sign when he uses my full name. He never calls me Allison, unless he's angry or being serious. It's always Al or Alli. "You can't just come around and steal all of my friends. I took you to that party to have a good time, not so you could cling on to all of my friends and take them away from me". His voice grew more and more ferocious every word he spoke.

"Okay! I'm sorry. I won't do it again". I say, throwing my arms up in the air and crossing them over my chest.

Cameron turns his head, finally looking at me. "You're making me feel-"

There was a long pause between his sentence, as if he were searching for words.

"Jealous?" I ask.

Cameron turns away, focusing back onto his original staring spot.

"Yeah, whatever". He spat, seeming as if he didn't like that word. "I got to go, I'll see you Friday".

He stepped on the gas pedal, with the door still wide open. As quick as I could, I reached out and slammed the door shut, before he was out of my reach. With that, he disappeared over the foothills, leaving me stranded in the front of my house.

What did he mean by see me Friday?

↡↡↡

03/27/16

60 votes and 20 comments for the next update