40. Pinky Promises

Allison

"Hello?" Cameron's voice stirs, as he answers the phone. His voice sounded soothing to my ears, and I wished he was here with me at the moment.

It was currently 10:24 at night, and I sat curled up on my bed. I couldn't sleep, nor even think straight. I wanted company right now, and my mother was no help. Cameron knew exactly how to comfort me, something my mother never knew how to do.

"What's up?" He then asks, and I didn't quite know how to reply to it.

"Can you come over right now?" I questioned, anticipation growing in my stomach. I tapped my fingers against my side-table, awaiting for a reply.

"Right now? Why?"

I hesitated for a split second. "Something happened, and... and I just need you with me right now".

I felt like crying again, but I tried hard not to. My cheeks were already sore from rubbing my face so much, and the back of my throat hurt from all my intense breathing. I just in fact, stopped crying about an hour ago and I don't anticipate on doing it again.

I hear Cameron curse on the the other end of the line.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"No", he answers. I hear him sniff his nose, as if he had a cold. "I'll be there shortly okay?"

"K".

"K, bye". His line went blank, which was weird to me. He never ends a phone call with a "k bye".

I set my phone on the mattress beside me, staring up at the ceiling with a big sigh.

Three days until my whole life changes.

***

There was a quiet knock on my bedroom door, and I assumed it was Cameron. I quickly crawled out of bed, opening the door to a Cameron standing behind it. He held a duffle-bag in his hand, along with an earbud in his ear.

He quickly notices the room behind me, and how there were boxes piled everywhere. A frown was worn across his face. The saddest frown that I've ever seen in my entire life.

He drops his bag to the floor, pulling the earbud out of his ear and setting his phone on top of the bag. I stood there silently, staring at him in awe.

After his hands were clear of everything , he swoops down, and pulls me into a hug. Tears immediately began to fall from his eyes, which made it obvious that he already knew. I felt my shoulder already becoming damp, and the feeling of my heart shattering.

I feel my feet being lifted off of the floor, and soon enough he was carrying me into my room. He closes the door behind us, and saunters us towards my bed. The only thing that was in my room.

He laid me down, me below him, as he was hovering over my body. His face only inches away from me, and I could see the desperation clearly visible in his eyes.

A tear slipped from his left eye, falling onto my chest in a cold splatter.

Mt teeth chattered as I felt like sobbing again. Then closed my eyes because I hated the scene of Cameron crying.

"I don't want you to leave". Cameron cries; another one of his tears hitting my skin.

I shook my head, "me neither". I murmured.

I felt his hair tickle my face, and I instinctively opened my eyes. He nestled his face into my shoulder, crying hardly into my neck. My chest spasmed, and I tried so hard to conceal my cries. But Cameron was my weakness and I was soon sobbing along with him.

"Stay here. Please!" Cameron begs, lifting his face ever so slightly to gain eye contact with me. I wish I could, but I knew I couldn't stand a chance. My mother wouldn't approve. Plus, if I stayed here, I'd miss my mom. Not that she was ever around anyways, but still.

"I wish". I said, wiping an escaping tear with the back of my hand.

I watch as Cameron cups his face, rubbing his eyes with his fingertips and snuffling his nose.

"Please stop crying Cameron". I beg, tousling his hair to the side, so it wasn't in his face. He looks at me with his sad, gloomy eyes. This was the saddest I've ever seen him before, and it was heart aching!

"I can't". He replies, rolling his body to the empty spot of my bed, and digging his face into a pillow. He sobs into it, his breaths muffled and voice groggy.

Three more days, I thought to myself. Tomorrow it'll be two. Then the next will be one, and the day after... the end.

It felt like a ticking time-bomb! As the timer ends, everything will be diminished and gone. Completely.

***

"Can you promise me something?" Cameron asks. It's been about an hour since he's stopped sobbing. Now we were just talking. Talking about the good ol'days, in my empty bedroom.

"Sure". I reply, turning to him as he laid beside me. I stared at him, even though it was completely dark in the room and I couldn't see a thing.

"Promise me that when you're gone...you won't find someone else?"

A smile grew amongst my face after hearing his statement.

"Promise me you'll wait for me. Please". He begs.

I wanted to squeal in excitement. It was  really cute when he asked me things like this.

We weren't an official couple, but it sure seemed like we were. I mean, I wish we were.

"Because I want you to be my girlfriend. You can't be anyone else's. I call first dibs Ali". He lets out a small chuckle, which brightened up the mood.

Even in the dark, I could tell he was smiling like an idiot. And he was my idiot. Only mine.

"Because you're mine. Not his, got it?"

I wanted to scream. Loud and proud, because Cameron just called me his.

"Got it".

I felt him shift from beneath the covers, moving his body so that he was positioned in a certain way.

"Give me your hand". He orders.

I obey his command, pulling my arm out from the warmth of the blanket. I lifted my hand, awaiting.

"Now what?" I ask.

I felt his hand in mine, and he searched for my pinky.

"Pinky promise me", he chuckles.

I lifted my pinky, laughing. It's been a while since I've ever pinky-promised anyone.

Then his pinky wrapped around mine, squeezing it.

"Promise?" He asks.

Without hesitation I smiled. "I promise".

↡↡↡

Ayye here's where the plot of the story actually comes in.

70 votes and 25 comments