19. Lifeguard

Allison

Later in the day, Cameron and I decided to go to the beach. The rain has stopped, and the sun was out. My mom still wasn't home, so we had nothing better to do. In fact, I haven't been to the beach in a long time.

Cameron got dressed in spare pair of clothes that he'd always leave at my house. It consisted of a pair of basketball shorts, and a plain white t-shirt. We didn't bother to bring anything, because the only thing we planned was to sit on the boardwalk. Our usual sitting spot, when we'd always get bored.

***

The beach was empty. Not a person, nor even a shift of movement was there. Just the usual sand and steady ocean water. 

The sun shined down, letting the ground absorb the sunshine. Cameron led me across the hot sand, onto to jetty. The old, creaky jetty. We sat along the edge, dipping our toes into the cold water, staring out at the ocean.

"I haven't been here in forever". I exclaim, splashing my feet through the water.

Cameron leaned back, his arms supporting himself from behind. He breathed in a long breath. "Same". He replies.

Childhood memories began to fill my mind. Me and Cameron used to come here all the time! His dad would bring us out, and let us swim in the water, we'd come here every summer, and just build sand castles and played who can dig the deepest hole. Stuff like that. I smiled at the small memories, and peered at Cameron. He was gazing out at the surface, with the sun glistening in his eyes. By the way he was sitting and the look on his face, I could tell he was thinking.

"What's going on in that noggin of yours?" I ask, raising my hand, and ruffling my fingers through his hair. He took his focus away from the water, and looked at me.

"Just thinking". He says, a small grin making its way across his face. He turns his head, peering at the water again.

"You know what?" He asks.

"What?"

Cameron pauses, hesitating. "I've always wanted to be a life guard". He looks at me, with his child-like face, smiling at me. "You know...To save people, and rescue them from trouble".

I couldn't help but smile. "Well, you'd be a good life guard. Because you're very good at saving people".

His smile widens, showing off his perfectly aligned teeth. I don't know what happened, but for a split second, at this very moment, Cameron looked extremely adorable. With the sunlight reflecting off of his skin, and the wind blowing through his hair, and the way he seemed so passionate about saving people, it was cute.

"You think I would?" He asks. I nodded my head yes.

"Let's test it". I challenge, raising my eyebrows and smirking. Cameron looked at me with confusion lingering in his eyes. "What do you mean?"

I pulled my legs out of the water, and stood up. Cameron eyed me, watching me as I did so.

I stepped back, and began to strip from my clothes, leaving them sitting by my feet. Being only left in my undergarments and flip flops, I kicked off my sandals and ran straight to the end of the dock, jumping into the water.

Cameron flinched, as I met the surface, splashing him with the coldness of the water. My body evolved into shocks and shivers as I emerged into the ocean. It was freezing, but I soon adjusted to it.

I pushed my way to the surface, gasping for air. Cameron was now standing on the jetty, staring down at me like I was crazy.

"Help! I'm drowning!" I yelled, flailing my arms in the air, as I kicked and splashed in the water.

Cameron grinned, now realizing what I was doing, and reached for the hem of his shirt. He pulled it over his head, and threw it to where my clothes were sitting.
He then pulled his shorts off, along with his flip flops, and dashed towards me. Jumping into the air, and landing into the pit of coldness.

His body made a huge splash, spraying me with water, and creating small waves. I pretended to drown, making gurgling noises and thrashing the water. Cameron swam to me, engulfing me into his arms and pulling me back towards the boardwalk. I tried not to laugh, knowing that if I did, I'd probably choke on water. Cameron dragged me through the tide, and with all his strength, he lifted me onto the dock. His strength surprised me.

It was quiet for a second, as Cameron laid me on the wood. Our bodies were soaked, dripping with water, and our breaths were heavy. He was panting exhaustedly, as he ran a hand through his wet hair.

My eyes were slightly opened, as he hovered over me. I was almost about to get up, and congratulate him for pulling me out of the water, but before I could do so, Cameron announced something.

"I need to do CPR".

I opened my eyes, but soon closed them again, as his lips collided against mine.

↡↡↡

Don't know if I should laugh or cry. But it's finally happening!!

50 votes and 20 comments