21. Mutual Feelings

Allison

It took a whole hour to dry off. Sitting on the bench, letting the wind blow against us. The mud had crusted up, and we were now baked in flaky dirt.

The rain hadn't stopped either. It just kept pouring down, getting heavier by the minute. My mom told us to come inside, ordering us to go take a shower. We did as we're told, heading upstairs and to the bathroom.

Cameron turned the water on, letting the shower warm up first.

"Who's going first?" He asks, turning to me, as he adjusts the water temperature.

"Me!" I almost yell. My skin was getting itchy by all the dirt crested on it, and it was bothering me.

Cameron motioned to the shower. "Well shower fast, became I'm getting tired of having all of this stuff on me". He brushed his hands against his chest, sweeping off all of the loose dirt.

I nodded my head, and immediately jumped into the shower. The hot water rushed down my body, washing away all of the crud, making the water run brown.

***

Heavy fists pounded against the door, and a faint voice coming from the other side. "Are you almost done? You've been in there for almost a half an hour!"

My mind snapped out of my imagination, and I realized that I haven't even started washing myself. I've just been standing here.

I grabbed the soap and immediately began to wash. Poor Cameron. Having him wait in the hall for almost thirty minutes, while he's covered in muck.

I heard the door open, and close again, and shuffling from behind the curtain. I grasped the curtain and peeked my head out. Cameron had came into the room.

I put my head back into the tub, and let the water soak my hair. A light breeze hit me from behind, as the curtain had opened. My body pivoted around, noticing that Cameron was stepping into the tub.

"You're taking so long!" He wines, pushing me out of the way, as he lets himself under the water.

"Im sorry". I mimic, running shampoo through my hair, and rubbing it into my scalp.

Cameron washes off, as so do I, when the water gets turned off. We ringed out our wet clothes and dried off in plushy towels. I went back to my room and changed into a fresh pair of clothes, while Cameron remained in the bathroom as he got dressed.

I pulled a sweater over my head and slipped myself into a pair of sweats. Then pulled my hair up into a top knot, and rested on my bed.

The rain outside continued to pour, thudding against the window with a loud ruckus. From the hallway, I heard the bathroom door open, and soon Cameron walked into my room, as he ran a towel through his dripping hair.
He had nothing but a loose towel wrapped around his waist.

He smiled at me as we made eye contact, and hung the towel on the back of my door.

He then thumped across the room, sitting next to me on the bed. He laid down, putting his hands behind his head, staring up at the ceiling. I stared at him, but Ive felt something I've never felt before. It was a feeling of butterflies, swarming in my stomach. I've felt them before, but never around Cameron.

His eyes darted at mine, immediately catching my gaze. "What?" He asks. I shook my head, replying with a "nothing". I stopped looking at him, pulling my lip between my teeth as I looked away.