11. Forests and Fear

Allison

The streets were dark. Nothing but the dim street lamps illuminating the roads, and the faint glow of the moon. We drove down dozens of lanes and turned at lots of corners. At one point I began to freak out, because we started driving through a forest. I got scared, because I was with a boy I didn't quite know, and the ride was quite. Eventually he told me, everything's going to be alright, and that I'd be surprised on where we were heading.

I fell asleep halfway during the ride. I always tend to do that once I've been in a car for so long. But I was awoken by a faint nudge on my shoulders.

"Allison, we're here". I hear Shea inform. He continued to shake me, until I finally opened my eyes. My eyes opened to darkness. Nothing but the lights in the car were lit. Through the windows, everything outside was pitch black, which frightened me to the core.

"Where are we?" I ask worriedly, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.  "Why is it so dark?" 

Shea grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers together, trying to comfort me. "Don't worry. It's a surprise".

His hand unclasped from mine, and he opened up his door—disappearing into the darkness outside. I watched carefully through the windows, as his silhouette walked around the car. My door opened, and his figure appeared. His hand extended out, waiting for me to grab it.

My heart was beating incredibly fast. Where were we going? What was he going to do? It was pitch black out here, and we couldn't even see anything.

He pulled me out of the car, once our hands connected, and engulfed me into the darkness with him. A cool breeze brushed against my legs and arms, sending shivers down my spine. I held on tightly to him. Who knew what was out here, getting ready to snatch me. It could be a bear, a murderer, a kidnapper, or anything else that came to mind.

Shea snaked his arm around my waist, as he pulled me around the car. A clicking noise was made, as the trunk opened. He reached inside and fumbled around in search for something. He finally pulled out a basket and a thick, woven blanket, and then he shut the trunk.

"This way". He says, pulling me the opposite direction from his car. We began walking deeper into the darkness, until he pulled out his phone and turned his flashlight on.

The light from his flashlight was bright enough to light up the pathway. The ground was grassy, and filled with little pebbles. Spruce trees and bushes were planted all around us, creating a dark canopy above our heads. That's when it hit me. We were in a forest. We walked for another minute, until the flashlight came upon a glowing sign, nailed onto a wooden fence. No trespassing was written on the sign, in big, blocky letters. I peered around our surroundings, puzzled on where we were. But all I could see were trees, bushes, darkness, and a wooden fence leading on for miles.

"Where are we?" I ask again, as my palms become clammy. Shea turned to me. "Curious little one, aren't you?" Was all he said. "You'll see. We just have to make our way, to the other side of this fence".

"But it says no trespassing". I inform, but Shea ignored me. He trailed his hand down the lining of the fence, until he got to a small opening. He pulled me behind him, making sure I wouldn't get lost, and cracked open the small opening. He stepped in, pulling me behind, and we ended up in an even darker pack of trees.

"And now we have to make it past all of these trees". He says.

And that's what we did. Shea stepped in front of me, and created a pathway through the thick forest. Tree branches and prickly plants poked at my skin, scraping and scratching.