24. Cant sleep

Allison

We didn't dare bring up that situation as we ate. Even though it was hella awkward, we just kept our mouths shut. Gina probably thought we had a thing going on, which is true, but she didn't say anything. Her eyes just kept switching back and forth between the two of us, with a look of guilt hiding in them.

"Well! I'm finished". Cameron says, in an enthusiastic tone, pushing away his plate, and leaning back in his chair. I continued to eat my corn and chicken in silence, watching Cameron as he got up and washed his dishes. Gina shallowed what was in her mouth before speaking up. "What did you guys plan for tonight?" She asks, lifting her head and looking at us.

Cameron was rinsing his plate. "Umm, maybe just watching some movies". He replies. "Chilling, I don't know".

I nodded my head, agreeing with whatever came out of his mouth.

"Oh, okay". She replies, poking at her food. "I'm going out for coffee in a little bit, so you guys good here?" She sounded concerned. "I have to catch up on something on the phone, and I'd much rather do it somewhere else, than around you guys". Her voice cracked at the end of her sentence, as if she was about to cry.

"Mom, you okay?" Cameron asks, sending her a look of suspicion. "You sound sad?" He turned around and looked at her.

Gina pushes her plate away from herself, and stares solemnly at the wall. "I'm fine". She states. "I just need some fresh air". She stands up, and walks out of the kitchen. Quiet sobs followed her out of the room. Cameron immediately went after her, begging her to stop.

"Mom, wait!" He desperately calls. By the time he was a foot out of the kitchen, the front door opened, and closed, the sound ricocheting throughout the corridors. Gina was already gone.

Cameron came back into the room, a look of sadness washed over his face.

"What was all that about?" I ask quietly, not sure how to react. Cameron sighed, and ran a hand through his hair. "I don't know. She's been acting like his for a while now".

He leaned against the countertop and rubbed his face. "It's kinda making me worried. I hate seeing her sad".

I looked down at my lap, fiddling with my fingers. Something was up. The both of our parents have been acting strange nowadays. My mom was always  spending another couple hours at work, and she wouldn't be home until late at night. And she was taking more business trips lately. Cameron's mom on the other hand, seemed to be acting down. Something didn't seem right.

I looked up at Cameron whose hands were in his face. Rubbing his eyes and what seemed like... Crying?

***

The next few hours, all we've been doing was watching movies. Gina hasn't come back yet since the occurrence. We were currently watching The Little Mermaid in Cameron's bed. He sat on one side, a pillow clutched to his chest, as he continued to spam his mother with texts. She wasn't answering, which seemed to irk Cameron even more.

It was 1:23 in the morning. Cameron was slowly falling asleep, as of me, I was too entertained by Ursula turning Ariel into a human.

Despite the movie running, the sound of a door had opened from downstairs, indicating that someone had came in. The sound instantly made Cameron jolt, as he sat up into a sitting position.

He pushed the blankets off of his body, and slid himself out of bed. Gina must've finally came home.

"Wait here". Cameron indicates, gesturing to his room. He quickly walks out, into the hallway in nothing but a pair of boxers.