41. One last day

Allison

Day before leave

There was less than twenty-four hours before I'll be on the plane and on my way to the Big Apple. The last night to cherish everything and say my good byes.

I've told Jamie a couple days ago about my unexpected one-way trip. Let's just say she didn't handle it well. I've witnessed her in tons of heartbreaks, but never before did I see her cry that much! She cried harder than I've ever seen her cry before, and it was truly devastating.

Cameron called me up an hour ago, just as I was completely done packing my things. Everything in the house was set and ready for tomorrow. He asked to go on one last night out together. I don't know where and I'm assuming it's nothing too fancy. Knowing Cameron, he wasn't the fancy-date type of guy. He was more of a laid back, simple date person. Knowing from experience, he hated dinner dates and anything involving to get dressed up. He was more of a let's go on a walk along the beach type, or a lets ride rollercoasters till we throw up type. A fun type which I liked.

My mother called me downstairs, yelling at me to grab the door. The doorbell had rung, but she seemed too busy, talking on the phone with her boss. Typical.

I fumbled down the stairs, with my hand gliding down the handrail. I jumped off the last step, landing on the bottom of the stairs, then, grabbing ahold of the door handle, and swinging it open. I came face to face with a person holding a box, as they stood on my porch. The box was of course, covering their face, so I couldn't tell who it was. But judging by the hot pink Converse that were on their feet, it could only be one person. No one else on earth wears those hot pink shoes.

They lowered the box, and Jamie's face appeared behind it. Clean and makeup free. Her eyes stung red, as if she had been bawling all night and dark bags hung below her eyes. She offered a smile.

"I'm still grounded. But my mom gave me permission to come and see you". She says.

I smiled at her, gesturing her to come in. I opened the door for her, and welcomed her inside. She did as told, plopping the box that was in her arms on the floor. She bent backwards, stretching her back as if she had strained it from the heavy lift.

I raised an eyebrow, eyeing the mysterious brown cardboard container. "What's the box for?" I ask.

Jamie looks at me with a grin. "Open it and find out".

I hesitated, wondering what could be inside. Knowing Jamie and her crazy ideas, it could be a bomb or something like that. Maybe she wanted to kill me, so I wouldn't leave her for New York. Maybe she'd drag my dead corpse and stuff me in her closet afterwards. I contemplated my thoughts. It's possible.

"Are you going to open it?" I hear her question. I looked at her, and back to the box. "Yeah".

I bent down, grabbing the edges of the folds and opening it. Inside only made my eyes widen. A giant smile crawled across my face and I debated whether I wanted to laugh or cry.

I've lost a lot of things back in the days. Things such as jewellery, clothes, underwear and makeup. Like one minute I had it, the next minute it was gone. I cried over my lost items, thinking that they'd be gone forever. But it turns out, everything that I've ever lost sat in that box. And who do I blame? Jamie.

"You had all this stuff all along?!" I shout, even though Jamie stood a foot away.

I glance up at her— her cheeks flushing red and her lips trying to hold back a laugh.

"That's why I have purple bags under my eyes", She says. "Because I stayed up all night collecting your shit".

She let out a shrug.