38. House sold

Allison

A few days pass, like a fast forward movie. They last couple days seemed like a blur, filled with happiness and smiles that seemed to never fade away. Cameron and I did a lot of things together; things we've never done before. I don't know what got into him, but he's sure been giving me special treatment lately.

Today was the last day of spring break, also known as my mothers arrival back into the city. She just completed her cross-country business trip, coming back so she can work more shifts at work. Wonderful...

Knowing that spring break was now over, it also came to mind that school was about to start back up tomorrow. Meaning waking up early, homework, studying, homework, and more homework. I cry.

I finished off, by stuffing the last remains of my clothes into my suitcase. It was jam-packed, barley enough room to even zip up the zipper. Cameron insisted by rolling my luggage down, into the living room, while I grabbed my duffle bag.

He looked sad that I had to leave, as he propped my suitcase against the wall. His eyes meet mine and he nears towards me.

He runs a hand through my hair, cropping my bangs behind my ear, as his breath fans against me. His lips trembled for a brief second, as his brown eyes examined mine.

Just as our lips were on the urge of touching, there was a knock placed on the door. I watch was Cameron's eyes shift, gazing up at the door behind me. The reflection in his eyes, showed a woman's head through the windows, awaiting for an answer. Oblivious to the woman on the other side, I could immediately tell who it was. My mother.

I turned around and opened the door myself. Outside stood my mom. With her brown curls neatly gelled into a bun, and wearing a business skirt and blazer, there she stood. Looking sharper than I've ever seen her before.

A smile drew itself across his face, enhancing her rose-stained lips and small dimples. "Ali", she says, grabbing my shoulders and pulling me into a hug. Her smile was contagious, and I could feel one growing right beneath my nose. "Mom", I mimic.

Her Chanel perfume lingered in the air, bringing back my childhood memories when I'd always smell that when I'd walk into her office. It was funny how the perfume was still her go-to after a decade had already past.

She released her grip, turning her gaze towards Cameron who stood waiting behind me. Her smile was consistent, as she flashed it was him. "Cameron", she greets. I watch as he nods, offering a small grin.

She turned back to me. "All ready?" She asks.

I let out a shrug, not really wanting to leave Cameron's house quite yet. "I think".

Before another word could be spoken, she grabbed ahold of my luggage, strolling it out of the house.  She began walking down the driveway, towards her parked vehicle; her nicely polished heels clicking every time she'd take a step. 

I felt Cameron's breath on the crook of my neck, which sent a shiver down my body. I turned around, only to be enveloped into his cologne-scented chest. His arms snaked around my body, pulling me from the doorframe so we were out of my mothers view. "I don't want you to leave", Cameron wines, his eyes meeting mine.

I could only frown, stroking the back of his back for comfort. "I don't either. But I have to".

I peered out a window, that overlooked the driveway. My mom was now in the car, waiting in the drivers seat.

I was pretty sure she could still see us, considering her eyes being locked onto something in our particular direction. 

She honked the horn, causing a slight flinch of Cameron's shoulder.

"Alright. I'll see you soon", I respond, looking him into his eyes and offering a smile. He began to frown again, letting out a sigh.

"Oh. Okay.."

I turned around and opened the door, before proceeding to clamber into the passengers side of the vehicle.

***

We pull up to my childhood house where I've lived for the last seventeen years. The same old grass covered the lawn, the same old Christmas lights were strung across the roof, and the same old apple tree was still rooted into the ground beside the porch. The house looked the same. Only, there was one thing that was slightly different.

"What's that?" I ask my mom, as she parks the vehicle in the empty driveway. I pointed towards a sign, that was sitting helplessly on the lawn.

My mother peers at where I was pointing, her features falling. I watch as she breathes deeply, as she unbuckles her seatbelt. The words written across the sign taunted me. I never expected to find anything like that sitting on my lawn. Never in my entire life.

"Mom", I repeat, unbuckling my seatbelt as well.

I focused back at the sign, rereading the letters that were imprinted across the board.

House Sold

That's what was written on it in big red letters. I wasn't sure if I even seeing correctly.

It took me a third time to repeat my moms name. Either she was becoming deaf, or she didn't want to tell me. I'm going to go with the second option because by the way her body was tense and hesitant, it was obvious.

"Ali", she begins, her voice smooth through the silentness.

"Where are we moving?" I quickly ask, already knowing that that was happening. After living in this house for seventeen years, it was now coming to an end.

I glanced away from the sign, returning my attention back to my mother. Her face was paler than usual, and her lips quivered as if she was cold.

She breathed in again, hesitating. "New York city".

↡↡↡

This chapter sucks!!  Ugh I feel so unmotivated to write and I feel very bad. I always leave you guys hanging :(
But pls keep supporting ily guys sm!