1~Mate

Mate is a one syllable word with so much meaning. As a child I grew up with one goal. A goal that was thrust upon me. It wasn't going to college, or winning an award. In the werewolf world a female 'is born to do one thing, mate. Without a mate a girl is nothing. The first word every child learns is "mate". 

  We were born to be with one person. There is no choice. You get your mate and you're happy, you want someone different? Too bad. Every single day, a million times a day, I wish to be human. I would trade it all. I would trade the shifting, the strength, the speed, all for a choice. Maybe then, Axel could've been mine. Yeah, we fucked, but it meant nothing to him. 

  Maybe I shouldn't have done it, seeing as he rejected my little sister before. But I'm not a good person. My adoptive parents are always telling me I need to stop being a whore. I just give people what they expect.

  I smirked at Axel, "Hey, happy birthday."

  His eyes raked my body, taking in the short black dress. "Hey babe."

 "So," I purred, "You're alpha now."

 "Yeah, I-" he stopped and sniffed at the air. "Do you smell that? It smells like..."

 I gasped, "Astrid." My sister was timidly approaching the bar, keeping her eyes on us. Yet, she never looked us in the eye. Girls shoved her away, Jenna even had the nerve to spill her vodka on Astrid's modest, white dress. She ducked her head and ran towards the bar, grabbing napkins. She rushed past me, bumping into Axel. She was knocked backwards.

I rolled my eyes at her straightened blonde hair. Jenna came over, her lip curling. "Just because you put on lipstick and some church girl dress, doesn't mean you're still not the slut who kissed Logan."

Axle growled loudly, staring into Astrid's eyes. "Mine!" he snarled. 

The music that was previously booming stopped. The colorful lights ceased flashing. Jenna, Axel's sister, stomped out of the room. Axel's 18th birthday had come to a harsh stop. His eyes rapidly changed from brown to black. 

I stared at Axel and I knew he could feel my hazel eyes burning into his back. I don't know what I want. I love him, I need him. That part of me wanted him to do the impossible. Reject her. The part of me that cared for my sister defied. In the end, my internal battle held no weight.

Axel's next words made history. 

  I snapped back to reality when Jenna called me. "Hoeeeeee!" She giggled.

  "Fucking bitch." I muttered under my breath. I hated Jenna. She thought we were best friends, but she was wrong. I don't have friends. If it's a choice between fake friends and Jenna, versus being alone, I'd choose alone a million times over. 

  I moved away from the windowsill before Jenna could see me. I scowled at the creaking of the wooden flooring. My pack, the ScarletDream pack, was spending all of its expenses on the pack feud with ShadowMoon. It was stupid, all because a billion years ago both packs warred over a girl. Back then, all packs were small, now ShadowMoon was the biggest pack in the country. All that means for my pack is we'll all be dead by next month.

  I closed the door behind me softly. I tugged at my hair and slowly slid down the wall. I stared at my reflection. I felt the tears stream down my face. I couldn't stop the flood of memories.

"Slut."

"Whore."

"Mate thief."

"Home wrecker."

"Orphan Bitch."

  I stared at my reflection

  I stared at my reflection. I ran a hand through my brunette hair. My dark eyebrows always seemed to be creased. My full, pink lips were stuck in a sob. My hazel eyes were puffy and red. There was a small pimple on my cheek, along with a beauty mark near my ear. 

  My lower lip trembled. I grabbed the brush on the counter and threw it at the mirror. I could not look at myself any longer. Astrid is gone. She ran away. I'm a whore.

A/N: Hey guys, this story just started and it's going a bit slow and boring, but I just wanted to get some of Araceli's self-hate and depression in there. It's an important part of who she is. She's a girl built on regret, rage, and bitterness. Just wanted to get a little of that in here.

  I'd really appreciate it if you guys could spread the word about my story. Voting and commenting would absolutely make my day. It makes me want to continue the book :)

~Jenna in media center