48~The Last

Smoke as black as charcoal, Fills into our fragile lungs. -Empty Gold, Halsey 

   Vincenzo growled, "You want us to kill your child?"

     "Well, that's the problem," the prince laughed. "That baby isn't mine."

     "You're insane." I growled.

     "No, I'm the king." he shouted. "I was the illegitimate son of the king, and my siblings made sure I remembered it. I remember exactly how I killed each of them. Aurelias was thrown into the sea, unable to swim. I choked Octavia, and- and Jermeiah, he was special. He was to be king, over me, the first born. So I burned him, starting from his feet. He felt everything." Cassius' smile was almost innocent, if I didn't know him better. 

      He lead us into a town. He leaned over to me, brushing his lips against my ear. "Do you want to kill this whole town?" he whispered. 

     I shook with the allure of his words. To ravage a town, just because I could. Vincenzo raised his head, biting his lip. "Ara, get away from him." he growled.

     His golden eyes bore into mine, so similar to that of Alastor's. Cassius placed a hand on my arm. I jerked away from the shock of his warm hand touching me. Vincenzo twitched. Cassius rolled his eyes, "Oh, calm down. That venom is traveling fast. I assume you'll be dead by the day." he laughed. "Your clothes are horrendous, and I'm starving. Let's find an inn." he smiled. 

~

     Cassius was annoyed. "We don't want the lover's room for double the fucking price!" The lady tending the rooms gasped. "Give us a three-bed room."

     "W-we only have a two-bed suite."

      "Well," he winked at Vince, "That's okay."

     The woman pursed her lips in contained glee when he tossed her a gold coin. I tugged on the revealing dress Cassius had bought. Vincenzo glanced at me, carefully resting his hand on my arm, "You aren't sleeping in a bed with him."

     I shrugged, following Cassius when he led us up the stairs and to a musty room. He hopped onto his bed, already gulping down the soup. I cautiously stepped away from my mate and into the bed. My back was turned to him when he climbed in next to me. "How are we going to get back?" I murmured.

     "I don't know." he said honestly. Our back were to each other. 

      "I'm going to die tomorrow."

      "Maybe." his voice broke.

      "Do you care about me, Vincenzo." I whispered.

      His hand prodded me to turn around and face him. "Yes, I do. But I can't love you." Cassius tossed his soup bowl away and rested his head on the dirty pillow, going to sleep.

      I made sure the distance between me and Vincenzo remained. "I can't fall asleep unless I'm cuddling with someone." he whispered, gently bringing my body to his.

      "Liar." 

     "No, really."

     "Shut up!" the prince shouted, throwing one of his pillows at us. "I'm trying to fucking sleep, do you mind?"

     I nuzzled my head into Vincenzo's neck. "I'm sorry." I breathed. 

     He tentatively stroked my hair. "I know, baby."

     My eyes closed, allowing the venom to take over.

~

     Apollo ran his eyes over the girl. "A witch." he mused.