54~Vincenzo

"She had a sadness that was so deep, but it still could turn to light in a second, and when I saw her smile I wondered what it would be like to make her smile. I thought... I thought it would be like the discovery of smiling." 

-Akiva, Daughter of Smoke and Bone

     Vincenzo P.O.V *Falls out of chair*

      I shouldn't be feeling. I shouldn't be caring. Not for her. Not for Araceli. I'm not sure when I started feeling. Maybe it was when we were stuck in the past, with no hope of getting out, and she smiled. She smiled like nothing was wrong, like the lanterns around her reflected off of her, the sun. The center of everything. Or maybe it just happened. Maybe I didn't realize until she ripped out my heart when she died. 

      I wanted to rip apart the world when she died. I shouldn't have felt that. Not for the girl that had scarred me when I realized she did what she wanted, without thinking of the consequence. I saved myself for her, for my whole life. And then I was livid with hate for her. So mad that I slept with the first girl I could find, Piper. To think she was my first. I did. I hated her. So I shouldn't have cried when she died. She didn't deserve it. We don't deserve anything, not from each other at least. We were toxic. 

     I would rip her apart and she would drown me with her. We were given each other and I threw her away. Maybe I shouldn't blame her, shouldn't for something she did before me. But I couldn't, all I could think about when I was with her was her and those boys. Those pups she had chosen over me. But after everything she smiled. 

     This tortured girl had smiled. And it was as if she had lit up the world. Those villagers had paled in comparison. And then she asked me to dance and I said no. Because it hurt too much to touch her. To feel the gentle pulse of her body with mine. I was undeserving. 

     Or maybe that was just an excuse because of the anger I still felt. The anger inside me that roared for an explanation. And then she was gone. Left by those she called her own to rot. There and then so simply not. And I had killed and almost died so many times that the grief I felt was beyond me. 

      And then she was awake and life seemed okay. But it wasn't. And her life came with a price. A price she had to pay. Because to cheat death was inexcusable. Death had a way of finding those it had lost. Those other men and women who came back, they killed themselves. Because the price was too much. And I felt betrayed by the moon goddess, for stealing her from me. For taunting me with her life back, but keeping the parts of Araceli I could maybe love. Her smile, her laugh, the utter glee in her eyes when she said something witty. The fierce determination in her face when she was holding back pain. My little wolf. My little warrior. My little broken fighter. 

     A/N: I KNOW I KNOW! I just started school and haven't had the time to write. I'm really sorry and hope this makes up for it! A fucking Vincenzo P.O.V! 

I cannot thank everyone who has voted and commented enough. I get so many notifications for this and it blows my mind. 100K is unbelievable. I've never had more than 1K reads on the stories I've started. You guys are a gift, and I love you! 

If you haven't noticed I changed the description/blurb and I love it so much. It just came to me one day and I had to use it as the description. AND A HUGE THANK YOU TO liamsanchor9 for the stunning new cover. I love it so much and can't believe it! Everyone who has books in need of covers, ask liamsanchor9. Her cover book is so easy and I got mine within two days! I adore it, so go check out her cover book and even ask for one yourself!