T W E N T Y - S E V E N

I lay on my bed in the dark, the only light source in my room was the large candle on my nightstand, and it was already running out.

It's 4 in the morning and my dad hasn't arrived. He should be home by now. I feel like a mother, not being able to sleep comfortably because she's waiting for her child to come home.

I don't know if I can do this anymore, I have to talk to my dad. He can't be working this late, it's impossible.

I hear a noise downstairs, and I nearly shit myself. Please let it just be the wind blowing against the door, please, or else I really will shit my pants.

There's a bang on the door and I jump.

That's not my dad.

I quickly pick up my phone and dial Ethan's number. He probably won't answer, but I have to try. The phone rings, but then it sends me to voicemail.

"Ethan here, sorry I didn't pick up the phone. Leave me a message and I'll call you back later"

"Shit" I grab the bat that's hidden between the headboard and nightstand and quickly stand up.

The banging becomes more constant and I feel myself panicing with every second passing by.

I barely open the door to my room when my phone rings and I slam the door to my room and jump back onto the bed and answer the phone.

"Malia" Fuck, his voice.

"E Ethan!" I practically scream into the phone as I clutch the bat.

"Malia? What's wrong? Are you okay?" I can tell he was sitting up in bed panicing right now, with all the background noise.

"No Ethan, I'm not okay! There's someone trying to break into my h-" I scream when I hear the front door downstairs slam open.

The tears begin to spill from my eyes and I pick up the phone.

"Don't get out of the room Malia, I'm coming. Lock your self inside the room." I can hear the keys rattling in the background and I feel my heart race.

"No, Ethan! Please don't come, I don't want you getting hurt or killed!"

I still wasn't able to stand the fact that he got into a fight and got hurt the day of his parents party over me, I don't think I would be able to handle the fact of him getting hurt or killed because of me.

"Nothing is gonna happen. I'm in the car anyways, so it's too late to turn around"

"Ethan please" Maybe if I beg, he will turn the car around.

"I'm coming whether you fucking like it or not. You are in fucking danger and I'm not gonna leave you there to get hurt just because you told me not to come"

The line is silent and I hold both the bat and phone in my hands as I look down at the ground.

I can't believe he just said that

"Stay with me Malia. I'm almost there, but I'm gonna need you to listen to me" he sounded so desperate saying this.

"O-okay" I try to calm my breathing and he continues.

"I need you to grab something heavy and big enough to hit someone with, and keep it with you at all times"

"I have a bat in my hand right now" I look down at the bat in my hand and sigh.

"Okay, now carefully open the door and check who is it that's downstairs. Wait, where's your dad?"

"He isn't home, he's been coming home late"