E P I L O U G E

Years later...

When I had received the call that my dad had passed away, I didn't know what to do...what to feel.

All I remember is listening to my moms sobbing over the phone saying how sorry she was for everything, while I stood in the middle of the kitchen.

It's sad though.

It took his death to realize that she was sorry for everything. But sometimes I still wonder if she's really truly sorry.

Our trust was broken and I didn't know if it was ever going to trust her. So much was said and done, it's going to take a lot of trying. And I just don't have the strength to try and fix things that have screwed me up in the past.

Avery and I still lived together. She's engaged, as hard as it is to believe. She was the partying type and I actually never thought she would settle down...especially at such a young age.

I'm 22 years old. I'm going to college, majoring in journalism, something that I've always loved.

But I still wasn't able to get over him.

And I'm scared.

He's probably forgotten about me. He's probably so happy with her and his baby.

Which is what I hoped for. If I wasn't able to get my happy ending, then she should. Even if she didn't deserve it.

I was 16. I was stupid, young, naive, hot-headed, sarcastic.

Weird thing is that I never took off the ring my dad gave me. I just couldn't.

It's sad how I still hoped that everytime my phone rang, his name would show up.

But days went by, months passed and his calls decreased.

I don't blame him. I never answered the phone.

The first couple of months were hard. I spent them laying in bed crying, I stopped going out, I stopped eating. My whole life had stopped.

I would wake up in the middle of the night crying, screaming, shaking. Begging for them not to touch me...but it had already been done.

I went to therapy for help, and it did help. It may have taken me 2 years to get most of my life back, but I'm here...I guess. I'm breathing, I'm healthy.

That's good enough right?

I step out of the car, my black heels hitting the pavement with every step I took.

I lock it and Avery hands me the umbrella. We both walk slowly, following everyone else who was dressed in black.

Some familiar faces here and there, but I didn't bother talking to anyone.

There was nothing to talk about.

I just keep replaying in my head what I said to him...how could I, as a daughter, say that to him? My own dad.

Maybe if I never left, none of this would be happening. And my dad would still be here.

He died of lung cancer, the smoking got to him. I found out that his smoking habits got worse after I left.

He let himself go, he lost his job, he almost lost the house, but my mom took over the payments of the house. What's gonna happen to it?

I don't know.

Part of me wants it to be sold, to finally get rid of all of the bad memories, but there's also good memories there too, and honestly? I don't think I'm ready to let go yet.