Five- The Bangtan Boys and The Lioness

| Saturday August 22, 2015 |

My body slowly shook itself awake. I felt myself slowly regaining all of my senses. I felt a hand on my arm. It was warm and firmly gripped my bicep and shook me.

I shot up and swung out of instinct.

"Whoa, whoa, calm down. It's only me. It's Jae. Prane, it's Jae." His words finally got through to me after I had gotten him face down on the ground with his arm pushed up between his shoulder blades.

"Jae?" I immediately let go. "Oh god, I'm so sorry. You spooked me." I helped him to his feet again.

He laughed. "Obviously." He looked at me as he stood and pulled out a small flash light. "Look at me."

"Jae what are you-" He shone the light in my eye and lifted my eyelid then moved to the next eye.

"Everything looks okay," he spoke into the radio in his front jacket pocket. I noticed now that he wore a medical face mask over his nose and mouth. Why was he wearing that? He looked ridiculous.

He looked back at me with concern in his coffee colored eyes. "Are you okay? What happened last night?"

I stared at him, perplexed for a moment, and then it all came back to me. I looked around the room. I fell asleep in the morgue last night. Damn.

I looked to the table where the plastic sheet had torn open. No, I was put to sleep.

"The dust," I whispered. The dust is a sleeping inhalant. But how? And why? "I-it glowed. It glowed and then the plastic burst open and it all went in my face. I breathed it in. I think that's what happened." I straightened up. "The dust is harmless when it's not threatened. But when we try to collect it, to contain it, it protects itself. As if it has somewhere it needs to go."

I looked up at him. He looked at me listening very well.

"So that's what happened. There was too much dust clouding the camera view last night; the image wasn't clear. But if you breathed it in then maybe we should have you checked by the doctor."

"No, no. I'm fine, really. If it were harmful like that you'd all be dead from inhaling it as well. It's not toxic. Unless something triggers it to be. But in that case I can assume I'd already be dead since this dust seems to want a quick way out."

He just continued to stare at me, listening to what I had to say. Like he was saving the information for later or maybe just analyzing how I was behaving. He pulled off his mask. "Okay. Well maybe we should get you to the hotel to rest then. You sound like you've had a busy night. Playing chess by yourself, inhaling sleeping dust." He laughed, pointing at the mini chess set still sitting on the table.

"Oh yea," I went to clean it up. "I almost forgot." I packed it all away into its case quickly and grabbed my bag.

"So would you like me to take you back to your hotel?"

"No, no. I'm fine. We need to sort this out."

"Prane," he looked at me seriously. "You're not staying here today. It's your day off and you need a break. You said it yourself—it's not good to overdo it. So if you're not gonna go home and rest up, then at least say yes to coming with me for the day. I have the day free too."

I looked at him for a long moment. All of the humor that he had from the past few days disappeared in this moment. He was serious and careful.

"Okay," I sighed. "You're right. I don't think I can get anymore sleep though. I feel like I've slept for ten days."