Volpina: Part Two

The school day had felt like an eternity, but it was finally over. Thankfully, the bakery was really busy, so her parents didn't ask her how her day had gone.

As soon as Marinette got into the safety and seclusion of her room, she fell apart. She stopped pretending to be fine and let her heart fall apart. She stopped holding back the tears and let them stream down her cheeks. She stopped choking back the sobs and let them out. She stopped stopping and just let her emotions break out like water from a dam.

A thought formed in her mind in the midst of her tears. Is this how Chat feels whenever I turn him down?

No. He was just a flirt, all words and no more, he couldn't understand the pain she was feeling now... Could he?

She found herself thinking of Adrian again. Then, a sickening memory came back to her.

Alya was showing her an edited picture. "Doesn't Adrian kind of look like Chat Noir?"

At the time, she thought it was ridiculous. There was no way! They were so different... But were they, really?

She thought of Chat's endless flirting, and then Adrian's words.

No. It can't be...

Marinette's mind spun as she made more an more connections. Blonde hair. Green eyes. The same voice. The two had never been seen in the same room.

Adrian was...Chat Noir...

------------------------------------------

Marinette just cried.

She didn't know what else to do.

Tikki flew around her, trying to talk to her.

"Marinette, what's wrong? Tell me, please!" Her voice was desperate to reach out to Marinette before she got Akumatized.

"Tikki, I'm so stupid..."

"No, you're not!" Tikki denied.

"Yes, I am! I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner..."

Tikki sighed. "Figure what out??"

"Adrian is Chat Noir."

Tikki couldn't say she was surprised. She had been able to sense Plagg nearby at school and whenever they were near Adrian. But for Marinette to find out... And TODAY, of all days... This wasn't good for Marinette's already unstable emotions.

"Marinette, would patrolling as Ladybug cheer you up?" Tikki asked the poor girl.

"Yeah. I think it would. But what if I run into Chat?"

"I can't help you with that, Marinette. You're going to have to face him sooner or later." Tikki told her.

"Okay." Marinette swallowed hard. "Tikki, Transform me!"