Queen Bee: Part Nineteen

The next day, Alya arrived at school just before Chloè walked into the courtyard.

She turned around to see an almost unrecognizable version of Chloè. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she wasn't wearing any makeup. Her hair wasn't put up in a ponytail, it was down past her shoulder, uncombed and wild. The only thing that looked consistent was her outfit.

"Woah.." Alya breathed. "Chloè, um, are you okay?"

"Oh, hello Alya." Chloè nodded in acknowledgment. "I'm doing fine... I guess."

Alya crossed her arms. "Come on, that's bull. What's the matter? You can tell me." Although Alya kind of already knew, she hadn't expected Chloè to respond like this. She seemed like a whole other person, and it was almost hard to look at her like this.

"Sabrina's...gone." She bit her lip to choke back the tears. "She was kidnapped by someone, I mean. I was the one who pushed her away... What if I never see her again??"

Alya blinked in surprise. Chloè seemed lost and full of hopelessness. "I'm really sorry, Chloè. But remember, you do have friends here."

"No, I don't." Chloè squeezed her eyes shut. "All I've ever done to anyone is bully and hurt people. Thank you, but I don't deserve anyone's friendship, Alya." She speedwalked away from Alya towards the classroom, even though class hadn't started yet.

Marinette walked towards Alya. "What was that about? Why were you talking to Chloè?"

"She told me Sabrina was kidnapped by someone. Chloè seems really torn up about it, I've never seen her like this. And when I tried to tell her she had other friends here, she just shut me off and said she didn't deserve anyone's friendship."

"I can't say I don't disagree." Marinette muttered under her breath.

Alya turned around sharply to look at her. "Mari, I am seriously worried about her. She's blaming herself for Sabrina's disappearance, I've never seen her so...broken. I know you don't exactly love her, neither do I, but I'm worried."

"But why? What could happen?" Marinette didn't sound rude this time, just curious.

"Why?" Alya repeated. "Because I don't want people to be asking that after she's found with a bullet in her head and a gun in her hand."

Marinette was at a loss for words, and was too stunned to speak.

Alya let out a sigh. "Come on, let's get to class."

Marinette followed silently as they walked towards homeroom.

------------------------------------------

When Chloè had entered homeroom, she sat down in her seat. Ms. Bustier, who had been grading papers, acknowledged her arrival with a nod. Chloè pulled out her homework, only to see that it was Sabrina's handwriting.

Chloè tried her hardest to choke back the tears that started rushing to her eyes at the sight of her friend's handiwork.

How could she have been so cruel to Sabrina? All Sabrina had ever done was be nice and kind and do everything Chloè told her to do. And now, all Chloè could think of were Sabrina's last screams to her, and her cry for help. Somebody help me, she had cried. Somebody...not Chloè. Sabrina hadn't trusted her, and would've rather been taken than to leave her life in Chloè's hands.

Her rampant and all-consuming thoughts were interrupted by the bell. Students flooded into the room, and Chloè quickly hid her tear-flooded eyes.

Adrian walked into homeroom, and the first thing he saw was an unrecognizable version of Chloè avoiding everyone's eyes.

He had seen Alya and Marinette, well it wasn't as much as an argument, but it wasn't exactly a friendly chat, either, discussing something earlier. Was it about Chloè's dramatic change?

"Chloè?" Adrian hesitantly asked. "Are you doing okay?"

Chloè still avoided his gaze. "Yes. I'm fine, Adrian."

Adrian dropped it, but he knew she was definitely not okay. It must've been Sabrina's kidnapping. And while it was nice to have a break from her constantly doting on him, it was almost creepy.

Adrian sat down in his normal seat, then turned around to face Alya, Marinette, and Nino. "Hey, have you guys noticed Chloè?"

"Is there anything else to notice?" Nino chuckled. "What's up with her, anyways?"

Marinette shot an anxious look at Alya, who had leaned in closer to Nino to answer his question.

"It's Sabrina." Alya whispered. "Chloè told me she was kidnapped last night. She seems pretty torn up about it, too."

"Class, please stop all the side chatter and turn to page 63 in your books." Ms. Bustier said sternly.

Chloè pulled out her book and followed instructions. Maybe if she focused on nothing but her work, she would get Sabrina's echoing cries out of her head.