Steel Peacock: Part Twenty-Two

Once school was over, the first thing Sabrina did was text her dad. She lied, saying she was going to a nearby park to do her homework and go for a walk, when she was actually going to do anything but. She had to tell her Dad first, seeing as with him being a police captain, he had to know where she was and what she was doing every second of the day. It was so suffocating, and it infuriated her.

But she wasn't going to the park. No, she was going to meet up with Hawkmoth. Her mentor had been training her vigorously over the past days, and he had finally decided she was ready.

Hawkmoth had taught Sabrina how to expertly lie, too. That's how she fooled her father when she 'escaped'. She lied when he asked how she got away and what happened in that week. She simply told him she couldn't remember anything, and he believed her. So gullible.

Sabrina walked towards Hawkmoth's lair. She'd convinced him to tell her his identity, just so she could better coordinate with him. She wasn't exactly surprised, seeing as it could've been anyone.

Once she was near the house, Sabrina walked into the nearest subway entrance. She had a secret way to get into the lair, as just walking through the house would've raised unnecessary suspicions.

Nobody was on the platform, luckily. Sabrina knew she didn't have much time until the next train arrived. She opened up her bag and saw Jada cowering inside.

"Get out of there, you shivering whelp." Sabrina sneered to the Kwami.

Jada whimpered and hovered out of the bag slowly, keeping her head down. "Yes, Mistress?"

"I'm going to transform now." Sabrina said. "Jada, Transform me!"

The Kwami remained where she was. Jada looked even more terrified than before.

"You aren't disobeying me, now are you?" Sabrina's voice took on a dangerously quiet tone.

Jada looked on the verge of tears. "No, Mistress. I just-"

"Then why won't you transform?!" Sabrina's hand lunged towards the Kwami and her fist enclosed around Jada's tiny body, just below her head.

"Please, Mistress!" Jada gasped for breath. "Let... Me... Explain..."

Sabrina tilted her head, then loosened her grip. "I suppose you'd be of no use to me dead. Now explain, and make it snappy."

"You haven't given me any food since you received my Miraculous." Jada whimpered. "I've mainly been sleeping to regain my energy, but it didn't work this time." She looked petrified at what Sabrina's next move would be.

Sabrina merely scoffed. "How pathetic. Fine, I'll give you some food. But you'd better be ready to transform after that, or else." Sabrina dropped the Kwami in her bag and walked towards the secret entrance to Hawkmoth's lair.

Inside the bag, tears slipped out of Jada's eyes before she could choke them back. She wiped them away and held her hands in a prayer. "Please..." She whispered silently, hoping her Mistress wouldn't hear her. "Wayzz, Tikki, Plagg, Renard, Abeille... Anyone. Please save Nuru and I. It's been torturous, I don't know how Nuru puts up with it after so long. But I think my Mistress is worse than his master, if I'm being honest with myself." She shut her eyes firmly, blinking away more tears that had been budding in her eyes. "Please save us..."