The New Holders: Part Twenty-Seven

Volpina burst into the studio. The scene didn't look good. Ladybug was sparring back and forth with Steel Peacock off to one side of the room, while Queen Bee was defending an unconscious Chat Noir from Assaultress's slashing whip with her golden shield expanded to a gigantic diameter.

An exhausted Queen Bee noticed her. "Where the heck were you?! Did you get caught in traffic??"

"Very funny!" Volpina said sarcastically as she ran to her aid. Assaultress lashed out her whip and Queen Bee grimaced in pain as it cracked against her golden shield.

"What happened to Chat Noir?" Volpina looked back to him worriedly.

"He got hit by Assaultress's whip." Queen Bee grit her teeth as she struggled to keep the shield up.

"Hang in there, I'm gonna stop her!" Volpina ran out from behind the protection of Queen Bee's shield.

"Hang in there?! What do you think I've been doing for the past 3 1/2 minutes?!"

Volpina ignored Queen Bee's snappy comment and flew above the battle. "Ladybug!" She yelled, and Ladybug looked up. "Wanna trade dance partners? This one has a very evil wedding ring!" Volpina gave a very exaggerated wink, praying that Ladybug understood what she meant by that.

Ladybug's eyes widened. "I gotcha! Sure thing, Volpina!" Ladybug turned back to Steel Peacock and used her yo-yo to wrap around Steel Peacock's waist before swinging her towards Volpina and going to face Assaultress.

Assaultress slashed her whip and shattered the shield, Queen Bee collapsed onto her knees, worn out from the effort of keeping the huge shield in one piece. Assaultress's whip wrapped around Queen Bee's neck, and she pulled the superheroine closer to her, slowly strangling her in doing so.

Ladybug ran towards Chat Noir. She had seen him get whipped, and he looked just as out of it as Volpina had.

"Chat Noir!" She shook his shoulder frantically. No response. Assaultress's words rang through her head.

And the only thing that could save her is a kiss from her love!

Ladybug looked back at Chat Noir desperately. She needed his help to stop Assaultress, she couldn't get anywhere near the wedding ring with Assaultress's whip slashing anything that moved.

Ladybug gave a small groan. "I seriously hope this works..." She knelt down and kissed Chat on the lips.

Meanwhile, Volpina and Steel Peacock were going back and forth at it, with Steel Peacock shooting an assortment of steel feather-arrows and Volpina dodging them, and now the two were stuck in a power-struggle, with their hands clasped together and each one trying to push each other backwards.

Sweat gleamed on Volpina's forehead. "You have to know that we'll beat you-" Her voice sounded strained. "No matter what you throw at us!"

"I sincerely doubt it, foxy." Steel Peacock spoke through gritted teeth. "You barely got back to your feet. We've already taken down Chat Noir, and Queen Bee will soon follow!" She leaned closer to Volpina's face. "I don't know what was going through your mind, Tails, bringing a rookie out onto the field."

Volpina reared up her skull and banged it on Steel Peacock's, grabbing her arm before she could fall to the floor. "I wouldn't be so quick to downsize her, Steel Peacock. After all, she's held her ground impressively for her first battle."

"Lucky Charm!" Ladybug's shout cut through the air, and Volpina looked over to see a magnet fall into her hands.

Steel Peacock blinked away the fuzziness from her vision and realized that Volpina was gripping her arm to keep her from falling. Steel Peacock swung herself upward and kicked Volpina square in the jaw. Volpina let out a cry of pain and let go of Steel Peacock.

"Why isn't this working?!" Assaultress screamed in fury. No matter what she did, her powers weren't working on Queen Bee. "It worked on the fox girl and the cat boy, why not you?!" Her fist enclosed tighter around Queen Bee's neck.

Queen Bee gave a strangled gasp in reply, and tried to speak.

"Cataclysm!" Chat Noir shouted from behind them, and Assaultress looked up in surprise.

"Sucker." Queen Bee rasped. "Essaim Rayè!"

Assaultress turned her attention back to Queen Bee, only to leap backwards in shock to see a huge swarm of bees in front of her.

The swarm parted for Chat Noir, who charged forward and used his Cataclysm on Assaultress's whip, causing it to crumble into dust. Ladybug swung just over Assaultress's head, holding the magnet in the direction of Assaultress's left hand. The corrupted wedding ring flew off of her finger and onto Ladybug's magnet.

Volpina rubbed her aching jaw and noticed she was on the ground again. Steel Peacock stood next to her with her bow drawn.

Volpina glared unflinchingly at Steel Peacock, despite Peacock having the upper ground. "Give up, Sabrina. You've lost this battle."

In the background, Volpina faintly heard Ladybug yell, "Miraculous Ladybug!"

Steel Peacock had a stubborn look on her face, but he reluctantly lowered her bow. "Even I know when I'm beaten. But you may have won this round, that doesn't mean you'll win the war. This isn't over until Hawkmoth gets the Cat's Ring and Ladybug's earrings!"

Steel Peacock shot an arrow at the roof and it exploded, leaving a gaping hole in the roof of the studio. "Until next time, Volpina!" She called out mockingly before flying out of the window.

"Stop!" Queen Bee cried, flying after her.

Volpina's eyes widened. "Queen Bee, no!" She flew after the two, leaving behind a very confused Ladybug and Chat Noir.