Steel Peacock and Queen Bee: Part Forty-One

It was later in the day. Sabrina had gone back home after going to a grocery store.

"Jada?" Sabrina called out quietly.

The blue Kwami looked up to her holder from a nearby nightstand. "Um, yes Mistress?"

Sabrina sat down on her bed, which was right next to the nightstand. "Um... I brought you some blueberries." She shifted through the bag from the grocery store and pulled out the plastic container.

Jada looked nervous. "For me? Are you sure?"

"Yeah... Do you want one...?" Sabrina opened the container and held a berry out to Jada.

She looked hesitated to take it, shrinking away from Sabrina's outstretched palm in fear.

Sabrina placed the berry carefully on the table while keeping her hand as far away from the frightened Kwami as possible.

"Jada, I just want to apologize for everything." Sabrina lowered her head. "I know you have every right to hate me, and I don't blame you if you do. Just please know that I am so sorry, and I'm not asking for forgiveness. And anything you need from me, I'll do it."

Jada swallowed hard. "Sabrina, I believe you're being sincere now, but I don't know if I can ever truly trust you again." She sighed. "All I ask is that as soon as everything is over and Hawkmoth is defeated, you'll return the Miraculous back to the Keeper."

Sabrina tears welling in her eyes, all from how crushing Jada's lack of trust in her was. But Sabrina knew it wasn't unwarranted.

"I promise you, Jada. As soon as I'm done playing Hawkmoth and he's behind bars, I'll be sure to take the miraculous to this Keeper." Sabrina choked the words out, heartbroken but determined to uphold her promise.

------------------------------------------

"Chloè, what are you doing?" Abeille asked, confused and disappointed.

Chloè, who had just gotten out of the shower and was getting ready for bed, looked confused at her Kwami's question. "Huh? What do you mean, Abeille?"

She crossed her arms impatiently. "You know what I mean! Meeting with your enemy, conspiring with them, intending to keep things from your fellow heroes, etcetera?!"

Chloè froze. "I-it was just a meeting! I'm allowed to talk to her, aren't I?"

"Just a meeting?"

"W-well I couldn't have know what happened-"

"But you arranged it! There are just some things that shouldn't-" Abeille stopped herself and inhaled deeply, regaining her composure. "Look, I'm just saying that I think this is a bad idea. You shouldn't go behind your teammates backs! And who's to say Peacock isn't just manipulating you and telling you what you want to hear?"

"Abeille, I understand what you're saying, I really do. But I really can't see her lying here. The deal we made doesn't benefit Hawkmoth at all, and I think she would've altered it if she were trying to conspire against me."

"And the fact that you have-"

Chloè's face reddened. "Okay, okay, I get it!"

Abeille's face grew more serious. "But all joking aside, I just want you to get out of this without getting brokenhearted."

Chloè brightened. "Thanks, Abeille. But now that I've spoken to Sabrina again, I trust her more than ever."

Abeille chuckled. "Ugh, could you get any more sappy?" She complained jokingly. Abeille raised an arm dramatically. "Oh Sabrina, oh Sabrina, wherefore art thou Sabrina?"

Chloè reddened. "Stop making fun of me!" But even she was giggling at Abeille's tease.

Abeille giggled. "One of my holders was a theater major obsessed with Shakespeare. I swear she'd recite 'Macbeth' in her sleep..."

Chloè blinked, impressed. "Oh wow."

Abeille gave a sigh. "I bet I know every line in A Midsummer Night's Dream..." She shook her head a bit. "Well, as interesting as she was, she was still one of my most loyal holders."

"She sounds nice." Chloè yawned. "Well, we gotta prepare for tomorrow, we're gonna need a good night's sleep for the festival."

Abeille nodded. "I'll see you in the morning."