Jade Turtle, Chat Noir, and Steel Peacock: Part Seventy-Four

As Volpina pulled Ladybug away from the group, Jade Turtle quickly looked at Chat Noir.

Chat Noir had an expression of stone. He looked unfazed, unfeeling, and numb to the news. Jade knew this wasn't good.

"Are you sure?" Chat raised his head and spoke.

"It's true." Steel Peacock confirmed.

Jade Turtle kept his gaze on his best friend, scanning for any emotion to show itself on his face. Chat Noir looked down again, and bit his lip until blood dripped on the ground.

Jade Turtle didn't know what he could do besides watch. His friend had an extremely complicated relationship with his father, a relationship Jade still didn't fully understand to this day.

He didn't know how he could help, and that helpless feeling clawed at him like a drowning cougar. Jade knew Adrian had helped him in his time of need, when he'd given up and accepted the fact that he might never be able to go to school with his classmates or friends anymore, and while he was living with himself after hurting Alya. Adrian had gotten up and done something, begging Master Fu to take care of/foster Nino. Back then, Adrian must've felt the same helplessness Jade felt now. But he'd at least done something. Why couldn't Nino?

Steel Peacock locked her steel gaze on Chat Noir. "I'd like to speak to you about this."

Chat nodded numbly, rising up from the spot he'd been sitting in and following Steel Peacock into the other room in the warehouse.

I can't even help my best friend when he needs it the most... What kind of person am I, frozen up when he needs me the most?

"Huh..." Queen Bee's huff interrupted his thoughts. "I certainly didn't see that coming, but maybe it's a slight overreaction? On both sides, I mean."

"I guess..." Jade Turtle scrambled for a way to answer her without revealing Chat's or his secret identity. "Maybe it's because they've been at this since the start?"

"Maybe." Queen Bee nodded, a bout of wheezing coughing interrupting her. "I just hope they'll both be okay."

Me too.

------------------------------------------

Steel Peacock gestured for Chat Noir to follow her to a secluded corner of the room.

"Okay, I think your reaction confirmed it for me." Steel Peacock began. "I'm not gonna say it out loud, or question you about it, or let it affect how I see you as an ally." She paused. "But will you still be able to fight Hawkmoth?"

Chat Noir nodded steely.

Steel Peacock didn't look convinced in the slightest. "Think about this. Hawkmoth will more than likely attempt to sway all us to his side, and the only one of us I'm overly concerned might actually side with him is you. Can you honestly tell me you won't be affected by what he may offer you?"

Chat Noir didn't know how to reply at first. But, at least now he knew why Steel Peacock had so unsubtly challenged him earlier.

I can't let them down, they're counting on me! I have to be strong, for them. To protect them all!

"Before, I don't know. But now, yes." Chat Noir flashed his familiar, confident smirk.

Steel Peacock smiled back. "Let's show him what happens when he uses and manipulates people. I've got your back if you've got mine."