Volpina: Part Nine

"I failed, Eliza." Alya was crouched down by her grave. She had released her transformation and given Renard some beef jerky. Sure, Kwami's diets probably didn't match up exactly like the animal they represented, but he still liked it. Alya had sat down at the grave once she was sure Renard was asleep in her bag. She didn't want to upset him any more than she already had.

"I failed you, I failed everyone, I failed." Alya placed a hand on the piled up dirt. "How can I live up to your legacy, the Legacy of Volpina, if I can't even avenge you?" Alya examined the necklace carefully.

Then, Alya's thoughts were interrupted by a beep from her phone. She got it out and saw that she had about fifteen messages and 7 missed calls from Nino.

"Oops..." Alya felt a sense of dread coming, but she dialed his number anyways.

It rang for about two seconds before Nino picked up.

"Alya! I saw your broadcast on the Ladyblog! Are you okay? Why weren't you answering me?"

"Nino, calm down, please."

"Sorry... I was just really worried about you."

"And that is so sweet. I'm sorry I couldn't call you, I was just..." Alya's voice faded. What would she tell him? Alya's first instinct was to lie and make up some excuse, but she didn't want to lie to Nino, when all he did was worry over her. He deserved the truth.

"But what?" Nino's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Alya, you sure you're okay...?"

"Yes. Sorry, it's just a really long story, I don't really know where to start..."

"I've got time."

"So, it all started after the broadcast. Volpina, the new heroine, got stabbed. She was dying, and she begged me to help her. So I did, I took her to a hospital, but as it turns out, the knife Dark Ladybug stabbed her with was poisoned, and I couldn't save her from dying. But before her time came, she told me who she was and told me that I had to become Volpina in her place. I accepted, I knew I had to avenge her and save Paris." Alya waited a minute for Nino's reply.

"Wow... Wait, was that you at the Trocadèro?"

"Um, yes and no. After I turned into Volpina, I went to the Trocadèro to face off with them. But don't worry, I had a small trick up my sleeve. You see, Volpina's powers come from the flute, and as it turns out, I can summon illusions. So I created an Illusion Volpina to face off with Dark Ladybug and Chat Blanc, just because I didn't want to end up like El- uh, the previous Volpina. But back on track, they figured out my trick, and I barely escaped. And now, I'm here, at the Previous Volpina's grave..."

"Alya, if you're feeling like I think you're feeling right now, please know that I believe in you. You didn't fail, you held your own against Dark Ladybug and Chat Blanc in a fight! Two experienced anti-heroes, and you fought them, weakened them, and lived to tell the tale! You didn't fail the previous Volpina, you learned from your failures. Use the knowledge you've gained to defeat them, and save them. You've reignited the spark of hope given to Paris by Volpina's arrival by showing that the legacy of Volpina still lives!"

"Nino..." Alya felt like she was about to cry. She had the best boyfriend ever. "Thank you so much... You have no idea how much this helped..."

"I don't suppose you could repay me with a quick visit? I'd be good to see you alive and well."

"Of course!" Alya jumped up, full of energy and excitement from Nino's encouraged words. "I'll definitely see you soon!" She hung up the phone and ran to her backpack.

"Renard?" She whispered.

The tiny fox woke up and yawned. "Alya? Do we need to transform?"

"You feeling up to it?" She asked.

"Absolutely!"

"Renard, Transform me!" Alya shouted proudly.

------------------------------------------

Alya flew towards Nino's house and hovered outside a large window to his room. She took a deep breath, and knocked lightly on it. Nino, who had been sitting in a chair immediately stood up and opened the window, allowing her to fly in.

Alya set herself down on his carpeted floor.

Nino wrapped her in a big hug. "You look cool in that costume. What about your glasses, though?"

After a minute, Alya pulled away from the hug. "I wondered about that too, but it seems like they just disappear when I transform, and I can still see fine. But they reappear when I detransform."

"Interesting." Nino admitted. "So, get this, I called Adrian earlier, to ask him if he was okay, and he didn't answer. He hasn't responded since, and it's been a few hours."

Alya raised an eyebrow. "Really? That's strange..." She thought of Marinette. "Did you call Marinette, too?" Alya asked.

"No, I didn't think to."

Alya called Marinette, but there was no answer. "Why am I not surprised? Ugh, I hate it when she goes AWOL."

"Same here. I'm worried though, what if Adrian or Marinette got hurt?"

"I'm worried too, but I don't have time to check their houses. I've still gotta hide, at least until I can find Dark Ladybug and Chat Blanc." Alya groaned at the memory. "Nino, how the heck do I beat them?"

"Just think, remember the battle. How did they beat you?"

Alya thought for a second. "Chat Blanc used his ultra-hearing and senses to track me..." She thought of Dark Ladybug. "Dark Ladybug was furious at me the whole time..."

"So, maybe to defeat Chat Blanc, you can use a high-pitched, ear-scathing frequency and a collection of strong perfumes to take out his senses and immobilize him." Nino said, thinking hard.

"That's brilliant, Nino!" Alya grinned. "And Dark Ladybug's temper will cause her to act reckless, and I'll be able to take her down easily!"

"That's what I call a plan!" Nino cheered. "My parents aren't home right now, so you can go into my mom's bathroom and get a bunch of perfume. I'll get that frequency for you."

"Got it!" Alya ran out of Nino's room and towards his parent's bathroom. "Man, if I didn't have a DJ for a boyfriend, I'd be toast!"

Alya found an almost empty perfume bottle and opened it up. She would spray other perfumes into the bottle and allow them to mix. Once that was done, she put the perfume bottle in her school bag, which she had taken with her, and walked back to Nino's room.

"Nino, you got the frequency yet?" Alya asked.

"It's done! I downloaded it to this, just press play when you're ready." He handed Alya a little speaker.

"Cool." Alya put the speaker in her school bag.

"Just a note, though." Nino snapped his fingers as if he remembered something. "When you press play, you won't be able to hear the sound. It's a frequency too high for human ears."

"Then how will I know if it's working?" Alya asked, slightly worried.

"When you see Chat Blanc writhing in pain." Nino said.

"Gotcha." Alya sighed. She pulled out her phone and checked out the news. Nino peered over her shoulder.

One headline read, "DARK LADYBUG
AND CHAT BLANC SPOTTED NEAR EIFFEL TOWER".

Alya shut off her phone and looked at Nino. "I guess I have to go now..." She said slowly.

Nino hugged her again, and pulled away smiling. "Go get 'em, Volpina."

Alya smiled back. "Thanks, Nino. I'll see you when this is over." She promised.

Then with one last hug, Alya flew out the window, ready to face the anti-heroes.