Redemption: Part Seventy-Two

She opened her eyes wearily. It hurts... She let out a tiny gasp of pain.

"Lila!" An unfamiliar voice spoke. "Try not to move."

"What...?" Lila blinked the exhaustion away. "Who are you?" Through blurred vision, she saw she was in someone's room, laying on their bed with cold rags all over her legs and chest. The boy whodunnits who'd spoken before stood above her, but all she could notice was his hair, which was a familiar red color.

"Wait." Lila blanked. "This isn't Hell."

The boy blinked. "Uh, pretty sure it's not. This is my room."

"Who are you? You seem so familiar." Lila asked again.

"Nathanaël Kurtzberg." The boy said.

"Nathanaël..." Lila murmured. "What happened? How did I get here? Why am I here?"

He rested a hand on her shoulder gently. "I can tell you the whole story later. You need to rest now." He bent down and placed a cool towel on her forehead. It felt nice. "Your lower body is covered with first and second degree burns. I've helped out with people who've had these kinds of burns, so I'm not going to take you to a hospital. These burns can heal on their own, without hospitalization."

"Thank you." Lila croaked. Her voice was pretty weak. "Could you at least tell me how you found me?"

Nathanaël nodded. "Once Ladybug purified your akuma, I overheard your conversation with Volpina from a nearby allyway. Then, a huge wall of flames shot up, and I saw burning hot chains latch around your legs and begin to drag you into the flames. I pulled you away from the other side of the wall of fire, and you had passed out from the heat. So, I took you back to my house, which wasn't far."

Lila couldn't fathom it. This boy... Nathanaël, had saved her life. No, he'd saved more than that. She was good as dead, and cursed to a life of eternal torment in Hell, but he had saved her. She had an opportunity for a future now, no more demons or devils, no more vengeance.

She owed him so much more than her life.

"Nathanaël... Why did you save me?"

He turned his head sharply. "Why on earth wouldn't I?"

"I hurt your city's heroes... I'm a murderer."

"First off, I don't think it was your fault. I was watching that battle. It wasn't you, it was that demon." Nathanaël spoke firmly. "Second off, you're not a murderer. Steel Peacock is alive."

"What?!" Lila jumped in shock. "She is?"

"Don't move!" Nathanaël hissed. "Your burns need to heal!"

Lila knew he had a point, the pain was enough to discourage her from moving again. "But- How do you know?"

"I saw her." He said. "She was flying around above some buildings. Maybe she was on patrol or something, but it was definitely her."

Lila felt like she could breathe again. "Thank goodness she's alive... I don't know what I would have-" She stopped. "Wait. That's not the only reason you saved me, is it? I can tell you're keeping something to yourself."

Nathanaël sighed. "It's complicated, Lila." He paused. "You should get some rest. I'll tell you some other time."

"Please tell me now." Lila begged. "I have to know. Why would you bother saving some murderer? And you didn't know Steel Peacock was alive then, so you would have seen me as a murderer."

Nathanaël looked as though he didn't want to say anything. "You need to rest. I'll tell you later."

He started to stand up, but Lila quickly reached out and gripped his wrist with her free hand. Nathanaël felt a chill run up his spine, although her hands were sweaty and hot.

"Please tell me."

Nathanaël sighed. He'd just have to tell her, if he wanted her to get any rest that night.

"I recognized you when we first met." He turned back to look at Lila. "It was your eyes, mostly. A beautiful color I'd only ever seen in my dreams. I'd been having dreams about you and nightmares about Vixen for a while. I don't know why, but I want to find out. I saved you because I felt compelled to, or else I might've never known why I dreamed of you, and I'd never be able to see your eyes again."

Lila didn't know what to say.

"T-thank y-"

"You don't have to thank me." Nathanaël clarified quickly. "I chose to save you." He looked down at his hand, and Lila let go of his wrist, realizing she was still gripping it. "You need to rest now. Let me know if you need anything." He walked out of his room, shutting the door quietly.

Lila closed her eyes. "No thanks I could give you would ever be worth what you've given to me, Nathanaël Kurtzberg." She murmured. "How can I ever repay you?"