The New Holders: Part Fourty-Seven

Ladybug spun her yo-yo around as a shield, blocking Steel Peacock's arrows as they shot towards her. A few she couldn't block got closer than she'd like, with one even taking a few hairs off her head. Steel Peacock flew around her in a circle, shooting arrows at random. One arrow, though, Ladybug didn't see coming towards her from behind.

"Ladybug!!" Chat Noir cried.

She turned around, only to see Chat Noir gripping the arrow, mere centimeters from her, with his Cataclysm hand.

The arrow crumbled into dust.

Steel Peacock froze. I almost killed her.

Realization hit Ladybug. I would've died if he hadn't been here.

Chat Noir growled. "You almost killed her!!" He bared his claws, ready to rip her to pieces.

But in that instant, he realized he didn't have to. The approaching sound of bees would probably do that for him.

Steel Peacock's eyes widened at the sight of a familiar swarm heading towards her. It almost looked a bit smaller than from when she first saw it, but nevertheless, she still flew away from the swarm as fast as she could.

Chat Noir nodded in satisfaction at seeing Queen Bee's swarm chase Steel Peacock away, and then turned back to his trembling partner.

"Ladybug?" He touched her shoulder gently. "Hey, are you okay?"

Ladybug gave him a shaky smile. "Yeah... What, no 'that was a claw-se one'?"

Chat pulled her in a tight hug. "Ladybug, you almost died! Even I know when to hold off with the puns."

Ladybug felt her face redden, although she didn't know why.

Volpina, still invisible, landed next to them with the soaked phone in her hand. "Hey turtledoves!" She dropped the phone. "Ladybug, glad you're okay, but I kinda need you to purify the akuma."

"Right, yeah." Ladybug pulled away from Chat's hug, feeling a bit remorseful, but still just as confused to feel so. She turned to where the phone lay on the ground and smashed the phone into shards, allowing the akuma to slip out so Ladybug could purify it.

Volpina watched Ladybug purify the akuma, grinning broadly. She was beginning to feel something for Chat Noir, Volpina could tell. If she couldn't even do that, she'd be a pretty lousy best friend.

Friends... Volpina thought to herself. Oh no, Queen Bee!!

Volpina shimmered into visibility as she tossed the water bottle to Ladybug. "Guys, I gotta go check on Queen Bee." She said urgently.

"Go ahead, we got this." Chat Noir nodded.

Volpina ran back to where she left her, only to find blood splatters and... Dead bees?

She must've used her powers! With that much energy and strain on her, she could be in danger! I need to find her.