Steel Peacock and Volpina: Part Fifty-Nine

Steel Peacock entered Hawkmoth's lair. "You summoned me?"

"Yes, my lieutenant. I've found another akuma." Hawkmoth held out his hand, and a little butterfly landed in it. "I want you to follow the akuma and be there for this one's transformation. She looks to be an extremely powerful one, lots of potential. I bet she'll be the one to steal the Miraculouses!" He let go of the butterfly. "Go on, little butterfly, and set this tainted soul on the path to power!"

The butterfly flew out of the window, and Steel Peacock flew after it.

Steel Peacock followed the butterfly to an alley near her school, and the scene she saw was horrifying.

It was that strange new student, Lila, and she was standing above Alya. Alya was wrapped in red chains, and bleeding from her nose. Lila had a darkness in her eyes that certainly didn't look very stable or sane. No wonder Hawkmoth was so optimistic about her.

Steel Peacock landed behind Alya as the butterfly flew closer to Lila. The akuma got closer and closer, aiming for the pentagram charm on the choker she was wearing on her neck. But then, Lila plucked the butterfly out of the air by its wings.

Steel Peacock froze. This had never happened before.

Lila inspected the akuma with dissatisfaction. "So these are the akumas I read about... I'm unimpressed."

The purple outline of Hawkmoth's mask shimmered over Lila's face. Steel Peacock flinched as she heard Hawkmoth's voice speaking to Lila.

"You really are a cunning one, Miss Rossi..." Hawkmoth mused. "I am Hawkmoth. Ally yourself with me, and I will give you the power to avenge your sister!"

Lila pondered this. "Hmm... How about no."

Alya looked behind herself to see Steel Peacock looking very surprised, and very scared.

Hawkmoth was caught off guard as well. "What-" He stammered. "But you-"

Lila laughed upon seeing Steel Peacock's frightened expression. "Hah, you think I didn't prepare against you two?" She chided gleefully. "Oh please, you can't come to Paris seeking revenge and not expect Hawkmoth to interfere. Unluckily for you, Mothy, I already have all the power I need to resurrect Eliza."

Hawkmoth was silent. Steel Peacock figured he hadn't seen this coming.

"However-" Lila chimed in. "I won't refuse more power if I can get it."

Hawkmoth attempted to regain his composure. "I knew you'd come to your senses, Miss Rossi. I will grant you-"

"Shut up." Lila interrupted. "You're in no position to make deals here. You're just a coward who uses people to get what he wants, because you're too cowardly to risk your own skin out here, and you know you're too weak to do that and get what you want. Now, this is how I trump you. I will accept your offer of power. But seeing as I have no interest in the Miraculouses, so I will take it by force."

Lila crushed the butterfly in her hands, and dark energy consumed her.

Steel Peacock stepped back, terrified out of her skin.

"Oh, one last thing, Hawkmoth." Lila's disfigured voice spoke from the energy mass. "You were too blind to even notice your so-called lieutenant's obvious disloyalty. She meant to betray you this whole time."

Alya's eyes widened. "What the heck-" She looked at Steel Peacock. "Sabrina, is that true?!"

Steel Peacock drew one of her metal feathers. "Damn it, I've been exposed!" She bent down and started cutting Alya's chains. "Yes, it's true, and we've got to go right now."

Alya's mind raced. Sabrina wasn't a traitor? Could it be that she saved Chloè? Em and Lotte were right!

"Not so fast, Sabrina Raincomprix." Lila's voice sounded out. Suddenly, black strings lashed out and wrapped around Steel Peacock.

Alya watched in horror as the black strings snaked their way over Steel Peacock's ears and eyes, up her nostrils, and into her mouth and down her throat. Steel Peacock screamed and shrieked in pain as her body jerked and flailed desperately. After painfully watching Steel Peacock struggle, she suddenly stopped, and something shimmered onto the breastplate of her armor. It was a black projection of a heart with strings attached to it.

"So righteous." Lila scoffed. "But even the strong-willed can't resist. Eventually, we all become puppets one day."

Trembling, Alya turned to look at Lila. She was wearing the Volpina suit, except it was the color of blood. Exactly like the drawing.

Lila grinned at Alya's fearful expression. "I'm the bad guy now, aren't I? I'll need a bad guy name." She tapped her chin thoughfully. "I like the name Vixen. What about you?"

Alya was too terrified to answer.