Volpina: Part Fifty-Six

Alya yawned. She had woken up too early this morning. But of course, there was reasoning for that.

"Are you tired? I am sorry I woke you so early." Eliza spoke, her spirit floated next to Alya.

Alya shook her head. No, it's okay, She thought aloud. I was too excited to go back to sleep, anyways.

Alya glanced down at the new silver ring she wore on her little finger. There was a black diamond embedded in the middle. She had woken up holding the ring and she found that once she put it on, Eliza's spirit appeared, right in front of her.

Alya felt a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, Alya!" She recognized Marinette's cheery voice.

Alya looked at Marinette. "Hey Mari, how'd you sleep?"

Marinette shrugged casually. "Good. I'm pretty excited to meet the new student, though."

Alya blinked. "New student?"

"Yeah, remember? Yesterday they told us we'd be getting the transfer student they mentioned earlier."

Alya's mind clicked. "Oh. Right. I remember now."

Marinette placed a hand below her chin in a pondering gesture. "I wonder what they'll be like... I hope they aren't like Chloè used to be."

Alya nodded. "Yeah, but I have a good feeling about today." Even if she doesn't know the real reason, Alya thought to Eliza.

Alya heard Eliza giggle. "Oh, like she'd believe you anyway, Tesorino. Your friend seems very nice, but if you said you were talking to dead italian girls, she might raise an eyebrow."

Well, I wouldn't exactly disagree with you there. It sounds a lot worse when you phrase it that way.

Once the two walked into the school courtyard, Marinette looked around. "Huh. That's weird, I don't see the new girl."

Alya shrugged. "Maybe they're already in class? I dunno." She adjusted the straps of her shoulder bag. "Anyway, I gotta return a book to the library. You want to come with me?" Alya offered.

"Sure!" Marinette accepted cheerfully.

The two friends walked towards the library.

You've been oddly silent... are you okay?

Eliza sighed cutely and floated in front of Alya. "Oh, Alya, you can't talk to me and concentrate on actively talking to your friend. I'm here to talk, but unless I have a grievance to voice, I'm not going to distract you from going about your everyday life."

I guess you're right, Alya admitted. Thanks, Eliza.

"But of course!" Eliza withdrew back to trailing Alya.

Alya reached into her bag and pulled out a Partical Physics textbook. Marinette's eyes widened at the sight of the huge book.

"Woah, that thing must weigh a kilo!" Marinette squeaked. "What's it for? We don't take Physics."

"Uhhh..." Alya scrounged her mind for an excuse.

"Fun?" Eliza suggested lamely.

"Fun."

"Huh." Marinette shrugged. "Anyway, I wanna see if the book I heard about is available. Is that okay with you?"

"Go ahead, I'll just be a second." Alya gave a quick wave as Marinette walked away.

Fun? I'm sorry, was that really the only thing you could think of?

"Oh, you were not fairing much better than me!" Eliza huffed. "Besides, when you're caught carrying a textbook about Particle Physics, your choices of valid excuses seem quite limited..."

Alya sighed and slid the book into the "return books" slot. You could say that again...

"That's a beautiful ring you have there." An unfamiliar voice spoke from next to her. Alya looked up, and saw a beautiful girl she swore she'd seen before, but knew she hadn't.

Alya smiled at the new girl. "Thank you. I'm Alya, what's your name?"

The girl extended her hand in a handshake. "I am Lila. Lila Rossi."

Alya shook her hand. Her grip was steel and her hands were cold. "Oh, your hands are pretty cold."

Lila released her hand and inspected it closely. "Are they? I apologize, I suppose next time I should wear gloves. Fall is coming, after all." She looked back at Alya. "Anyway, it was very nice to meet you, Alya. That really is a beautiful ring." Lila smiled and walked away.

"Alya. Please excuse yourself to a bathroom. I need to tell you something." Eliza spoke in a strained voice.

Uh... okay, I guess.

Alya walked into the girl's restroom and locked herself in a stall. What is it, Eliza? Alya looked at the anxious spirit.

"Remember I mentioned my sister to you one time?" Eliza rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly.

You've got to be kidding me.

"Um... no. That's really her."

Alya facepalmed and silently groaned. Great. Just great. That's just fantastic. And now there's this to deal with.

"Right..." Eliza cleared her throat. "Anyway, she wouldn't have come here unless she knew exactly what she was here for. She probably already knows your friends are Ladybug and Chat Noir."

Would she know I'm Volpina?

Eliza thought for a moment. "Not exactly, I don't think. She may suspect you, but she wouldn't know for sure. A lot of things can go wrong in the sort of exposing magic she would use to find out Ladybug and Chat Noir's identities, and she would rather focus on baiting Volpina with the lives of her compatriots than to go after a specific individual who may not even be exactly who she is looking for." She paused. "And also, they would have no reason to deceive her when she is looking into the identities of Ladybug and Chat Noir, and they would try to trick her if she was looking for Volpina directly."

Uh, who's they?

"Demons, of course." Eliza said casually. "I did tell you she worships dark satanic magic, did I not?"

Well, that certainly answers all of my questions.

Eliza sighed impatiently. "Alya, we both do not have the time for me to explain every little detail about demons and how they manipulate and take advantage and feed on dark emotions."

You're right... I actually should probably head to class.

"Take the ring off, please."

Uh, wouldn't you disappear if I did that?

"Yes. But that's the point, I need to hide. There's a chance Lila can see me, or at the least, feel my presence. That would not be good for you."

Okay... I guess. See you soon, then. Alya pulled the ring off of her finger, and Eliza's spirit was sucked back into the diamond.

Alya sighed aloud. "Today's gonna be a long day." She muttered unenthusiastically.