Queen Bee: Part Twenty-One

"So, how ya liking this so far?" Volpina asked excitedly. Volpina was flying over Paris with Queen Bee soaring right beside her, tasting the wind and flourishing in the warm sunlight.

"I love it so much, Volpina." Queen Bee felt happier than she had ever been in her life. She used to take happiness from other, laughing at their misfortunes, but that was fake happiness. The freedom that she felt as Queen Bee was pure, untainted, amazing joy.

"Now it that it seems like you've got the hang of flying, I think we should train in combat." Volpina called to her over the wind. "Where do you think we could go?"

Queen Bee slowed herself down until she was hovering in one place, and Volpina did the same. "Hmm, I'm not sure where we could go that would be secluded, clear, and good for training."

"Wait..." Volpina looked at her flute. "Maybe I could..." She brought the flute to her lips and played a longer tune.

Suddenly, a white streak cracked the blue sky in front of them. The streak was almost 2 meters tall and 10 centimeters wide, shaped almost like a lightning bolt, glowing a pure white, and white sparks radiated from the opening.

Volpina chuckled humorlessly. "Huh. You don't say..." She flew closer to the streak. Volpina stuck both of her hands into the
streak and pulled on both ends of the streak until it widened into something she could walk into.

"Uh, Volpina...?" Queen Bee sounded very confused. "What's going on?"

Volpina turned around. "So, apparently, this flute can create pocket dimensions. Who knew, right?" She glanced back at the widened streak. "I'll check it out, to see if it's safe. Wait right there!" And with that, Volpina dove into the glowing opening.

Queen Bee hovered in that spot for about thirty seconds. Then, Volpina's hand burst from out of the crack and grabbed her wrist. Queen Bee squeaked in surprise as Volpina's hand dragged her through the opening.

The pocket dimension looked plain, like it was just an endless white room. Volpina levitated up until she was about 3 meters off of the floor.

"Let's see what you've got, Queen Bee." Volpina crossed her legs in a meditative position and brought her flute to her lips.

A faceless orange being with a spear shimmered into existence. The being charged towards Queen Bee.

Queen Bee pulled out her yellow lyre and played a quick tune on the black strings. A shield appeared on her arm, and Queen Bee raised it just as the being brought down the spear on her. The spear clanged against the shield, and the being disappeared into orange dust.

"Nice reflexes." Volpina commented. "Now, let's test out your powers."

"Right." Queen Bee willed the shield to disappear. "Powers..." She placed the lyre back on it's place on her back. "Essaim Rayè!"

Golden dust swirled around her, and where Queen Bee had been standing was a huge swarm of bees.

"Dang.." Volpina murmured in awe. She closed her eyes and brought the flute to her lips.

This time, instead of summoning practice beings, Volpina went all out. She summoned the illusion of an Akuma battle. She had her powers make her look like an Akumatized villain and summoned 2 fox-warriors and sent them to attack Queen Bee's swarm.

The swarm swirled around one of the warriors. One of the bees stung the warrior, and he disappeared with a poof of orange smoke. But the bee who stung him also disappeared, but with golden dust instead of orange smoke.

The swarm stayed still for a minute, but then raced towards the last warrior, this time instead of stinging him, about fifty bees flew forwards and started to crawl all over him and into any opening wide enough. Volpina flinched at seeing her warrior stumble around blindly before finally exploding into orange smoke. The bees that had been crawling inside the warrior merged back into the swarm, unharmed.

"Good job, Queen Bee." Volpina called out to her, allowing the rest of the illusion to disappear. "Now, let's test out your speed and if you really can see me if I'm invisible." Volpina spun the flute around herself. "Trompe L'oeil!" Once the words left her mouth, she became invisible.

Volpina flew away at top speed, seeing if the swarm could see her and catch up to her.

And Queen Bee didn't disappoint. Within seconds, Volpina saw the swarm was trailing close behind her, and getting closer. Before Volpina could try to go faster to escape, a golden flash of light flared behind her, and before she knew it, she was pinned down on the ground by Queen Bee, who was now in her human form.

"Alright, you can definitely see me." Volpina rasped, as she was still pinned to the ground by Queen Bee.

"It's kind of hard to not notice you. In my eyes, you were sort of glowing blue and giving off this weird smoke." Queen Bee let go of her grip on Volpina and helped her to her feet.

Volpina brushed herself off. "Well I think this training session went rather well. We should probably discuss weaponry, though."