Queen Bee: Part Fifteen

Volpina was flying back to her house after her visit to the meditation studio when she heard faint screaming coming from Mayor Bourgeois's hotel.

"Somebody help me!!"

Volpina played a quick tune on her flute, and two Illusion versions of herself appeared. "Go find Ladybug and Chat Noir. Tell them there's trouble at Mayor Bourgeois's hotel." The illusions flew away, while Volpina took off towards the screaming.

Volpina saw a broken window on the top floor, and inside there was a crying figure. "Is that Chloè?" She muttered to herself. Volpina flew into the hotel through the gaping hole and landed on the luxury carpet of Chloè's hotel suite.

"Volpina!" Chloè looked relieved. "I'm so sorry about everything I said about you, please, can you help me?"

"Um-" Volpina was a bit confused at first, but then she guessed that Chloè had been trash-talking about her. But the fact that she was actually apologizing for it... Something bad was definitely going on. "Of course I'll help. What happened?"

Chloè sniffled and wiped away her tears. "Thank you! Well, I was talking to my friend Sabrina, and I might've said some things I shouldn't have said to her, and she got really mad at me. But then, a huge swarm of those black butterflies broke through the window and carried her away." Chloè paused and looked at the floor. "I feel horrible... I can't believe I was so stupid."

Volpina was surprised. She'd never seen this side of Chloè before. She'd always be the mean popular girl who'd ruin someone's day for her own amusement. But now, she seemed raw, vulnerable, and full of self-loathing. It was almost hard to witness.

"Hey." Volpina placed a hand on Chloè's shoulder and she looked up. "You're not stupid. We all make mistakes, Chloè. We just need to learn to forgive ourselves and move past it."

"Volpina? You called?" Chat Noir's voice sounded from behind her. Volpina turned around to see Ladybug and him inside the room.

"I'll be right with you!" Volpina told them, and then turned back to Chloè. "Could you wait for a minute? I'm only going to tell them exactly what you told me." She spoke to the sniffling girl softly.

Chloè nodded gratefully, and Volpina walked over to where Ladybug and Chat Noir were standing.

"What happened? Did she break a nail?" Ladybug scoffed.

Volpina knew that Marinette wasn't exactly very fond of Chloè, but how could she be so insensitive??

Volpina almost glared at Ladybug. "Ladybug, I wouldn't be here if this wasn't a dire situation. So I suggest you take this seriously and not jump to baseless conclusions when in fact, Hawkmoth has kidnapped someone."

Ladybug looked at a loss for words, although Volpina wasn't sure if it was because she had called her out or Hawkmoth's actions. Chat Noir looked almost too scared to reply.

"Hawkmoth's akumas kidnapped Chloè's friend Sabrina during a fight of theirs." Volpina elaborated. "She feels horrible about how she treated Sabrina, and she's really sensitive right now." Volpina looked pointedly at Ladybug. "So I'd suggest you put aside whatever petty dislike you have for her, and do your job to help a poor girl who blames herself for her best friend's disappearance. Now, follow me." Volpina turned to where Chloè was waiting and walked towards her.

Chat Noir coughed. "I'm gonna follow her, if you don't mind."

Ladybug shot him a dirty look, then followed him to Chloè.

Volpina helped Chloè to her feet. "Don't worry, we'll find Sabrina for you."

Chloè's eyes widened. "Oh, I can't thank you all enough!" She threw her arms around Volpina.

Chat Noir and Ladybug were stunned at how sincere Chloè was acting.

Volpina pulled away from Chloè's hug. "You should tell your dad and Sabrina's what happened, and at least try to get some rest tonight." She advised.

Chloè nodded. "Once again, thank you so much."

"No problem." Ladybug said kindly.

Chloè walked of her suite, and Volpina pulled out her flute. She played a few notes and a platform shimmered into existence under Ladybug, Chat Noir, and Volpina's feet. The platform levitated out of the hole in the window, carrying them into the Paris skyline.

Ladybug wobbled a bit on the platform, then finally regained her balance once it stopped moving. "Um, warning next time?"

"Oops." Volpina shrugged. "Anyways, what's the plan, LB?"

Ladybug raised an eyebrow. "I was gonna ask you, actually. You seem to be the one who knows the most about this case."

Volpina bit her lip. "I have a hunch. I just hope I'm wrong."

Chat Noir looked unnerved. "What's your hunch?"

"I'll tell you when I'm positive." Volpina promised. "I'd rather not scare you."

Chat Noir didn't look reassured, but he dropped it. "So what if we split up until..." He paused. "What time is it?"

Volpina looked at the moon. "About an hour and half from midnight?" It was a total guess, but her instincts as a fox told her so.

Ladybug slid her yoyo open, so the display was exposed. "Wow. Dead on, Volpina."

"Okay, what if we split up and searched for Sabrina until midnight, and then we meet up near Notre Dame?" Chat Noir suggested.

"I like that." Ladybug spun her yoyo in a circle, as if preparing to zip away. "Volpina?"

"Sounds good, I'll head south." Volpina confirmed. And with that, she flew away, searching for Hawkmoth's latest victim.