United: Part Thirty-Seven

Queen Bee shivered. It was early in the morning, before the sun had even risen. She was leaning against the rooftop entrance to a tall building. She didn't know exactly which building it was, and she didn't really care. Bee could only pray that she'd uphold her word.

"You know, I always liked that I could fly and Hawkmoth couldn't." The clank of metal boots sounded from behind Queen Bee, along with a voice she'd recognize anywhere.

Queen Bee turned around casually. "You know, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. But I can, and I'll use that ability to the most."

Steel Peacock smirked. "It's the freedom, isn't it? The rush that makes it all worth it."

"The wind whooshing all around you, vigorously sweeping through your hair." Queen Bee continued.

"Yeah. Flying is cool, but it's not why we're here."

"I'll have to agree with that."

Steel Peacock's blue eyes glinted. "Let's do this as agreed."

Queen Bee returned the stare. "Masks off."

The superheroine and the villainess simultaneously swiped their hands over their masks, willing them to evaporate into shining mist.

Sabrina saw Chloè, and let out a sigh. "Figures it'd be you."

Chloè crossed her arms. "Why?"

"Nevermind. So how'd you get the hairpin?"

"Oh no, you've been at this longer. How'd you get the pin?"

Sabrina chuckled. "Fine. Whether indirectly or not, you gave me this miraculous."

Chloè raised an eyebrow. "Meaning?"

"Let's both think back to that night, shall we? The night I stood up to you, the night you supposedly grew a conscience. Hawkmoth sensed my emotions and decided that I was too strong to waste an akuma on, and that I was worthy of a miraculous of my own." She paused. "And you?"

Chloè chuckled. "I suppose whether indirectly or not, you gave me this miraculous."

Sabrina noticed Chloè had used her exact words. "Do tell."

"Let's both think back to the day you returned, shall we? The day you treated me how I had treated you, the day you destroyed any of my hopes of being your friend again. Volpina found me after I ran away from the school and told me I had a destiny, that I had the potential to become Queen Bee."

"So you became Queen Bee to save me."

"And you became Steel Peacock to kill me."

"I won't bother denying it."

"That's fair."

"So why'd you come?"

"You first."

"I came to ask you to be a spy for Hawkmoth."

"That's hilarious."

"You don't owe them anything."

"I do, actually. Volpina taught me everything that matters to me. She taught me how to be a hero, how to be honest with myself, and more. I owe her everything." Chloè paused. "Me suggesting to my father to throw a festival in honor of the new miraculous holders was just one little way I could try to repay her."

"So that was you? I'll be sure to crash the party."

"If you can find an akuma."

"I'll figure it out."

"I'm sure you will."

"What, you're not gonna stop me?"

"No point. I'd prefer to at least try to keep this meeting on as long as possible."

"That's fair. Now your turn, why'd you come?"

"I came to ask you to be a spy for us."

"Wow, that really is hilarious."

"You really don't owe Hawkmoth anything. All he did was stick a dangerous power in the hands of a teenager and over-exaggerate the consequences of those who hurt your feelings. I know you, you'd never kill someone. While you may be more inclined to take my life, you won't, because that's not who you are. You may hate me, but you won't kill me. You're not a killer."

Sabrina laughed dryly. "I could say that I've changed, but that would just be cliché and untrue. Part of No Masks terms means no lies, and I won't lie."

"So be honest with me."

Sabrina sighed deeply. "Truthfully, I'm not all that mad at you anymore. I've been lying to myself about how horrible of a person you are, because I'm afraid. Afraid of what Hawkmoth could do to me if I backed out on him. But I don't regret originally becoming Steel Peacock. If I hadn't, you never would've become who you are today. Today, you are strong, beautiful, and kind, and I take joy in saying I don't even recognize you anymore. You've changed, and I think it will last forever. And I forgive you for everything, because of how you've changed since I've become Steel Peacock."

"Once you disappeared, that was a wake up call for me. A wake up call that screamed to me that I needed to change myself. And not just for you, but for myself and everyone I care about. I didn't like who I'd become, but being mean was just easier than being kind. But when my ways pushed someone I cared about away from me, I had to change. You being gone revealed all too well how much I cared about you, maybe more than just a friend. And I knew I had to be honest with myself about who I was and who you were to me. But I didn't know if you would ever let me close enough to you for me to tell you how I feel about you. Your words reassure me so much, Sabrina, because now I know you forgive me."

Sabrina paused. "What do we do now?"

Chloè thought on this for a moment. "We make it an act. You will continue to work for Hawkmoth, but will be a spy for us. We will continue to meet like this, but in confidentiality. No one will know but us, and we will tell no one."

"Play Hawky like he played me?" Sabrina grinned. "I'd love to."

Chloè grinned. "Masks on, and you'll shove me off the building."

"According to all known laws of aviation, a bee should not be able to fly." Sabrina grinned. "But you're the exception."

"Sounds about right."

Sabrina and Chloè swiped their hands across their eyes, causing the masks to shimmer back over their faces.

Steel Peacock cornered Queen Bee to the end of the rooftop, grinning as she did so. "You know, I think I've finally figured out why Assaultress's whip didn't work on you."

Queen Bee snickered. "Took you long enough."

Steel Peacock winked. "See you soon."

Then, she shoved Queen Bee off the roof.