One

All rights reserved©

Edited
We all have a choice in which path we take towards the future. Though not all choices we make can easily be fixed. Sometimes, if we make a wrong turn, you have to find your way back to the starting line. You learn the hard way that what you do doesn't only impact yourself, family and friends suffer too.

I had made the mistake of not being careful. I made it harder on both my life and my best friend's. Taking the risk, I lost an important part of myself that I can never get back.

The doctor awaited my reaction in the corner of the room, eyeing me intently to see if I would have a mental break down. I couldn't even decided myself how I should react to this news.

I was pregnant. Easier to say in my head than actually comprehend and say aloud that I was having a kid. That one night alone with a stranger could throw me in a different path from my dreams.

Tears finally streamed down my cheeks, rolling onto my neck as I stared straight ahead. I took deep breaths, but no matter what I did, the fear I felt was too strong to bare. The doctor staring holes into the side of my head was no help either.

I liked kids.

But my own? I couldn't raise a kid. I have a stable job that is enough to pay for myself and only me. It would be hard to afford all the things my child needs.

Instead of sitting there debating what I was going to do, I pulled myself off the bed provided. After glancing at the doctor, I left the room silently. The paperwork was crinkled in my hands in a tight grip when I got in my car.

Sighing, I turned the key in the ignition and drove home, biting my lip incessantly until it ached and was beet red.

The trees were swaying with the wind on my way to the apartment, the clouds seeming to get darker and the temp cooled off immensely. I was grateful the heat wouldn't be another problem to add to my stress. Light drops of water sprayed onto my window wipers until I finally pulled into the garage.

I walked towards my room, slightly shaking. My apartment door swung open, my best friend was anxious and scooped me inside. Worry covered her face as she looked over my dull expression. "Kenzie?"

"You were right, I am pregnant."

LizAnnie claimed to have a hunch about my pregnancy four months back. Though, I had only just recently taken a test. Ever since she confronted me about it, she has talked over living with me. Suggested she could help take care of the baby and the outrageously high bills I pay every month. Now that it is confirmed, I'm positive she'll be living with me by this weekend.

"That's great! Kenzie, I am really excited to have a mini you running around-"

I stopped her ramble shortly. "I know, Liz. But you know I have to get use to it before the excitement kicks in."

She gives me a puzzled look. "Duh."

"Meaning, right now I'd like to forget I'm even pregnant. Tomorrow I can take on the challenge of being pregnant. Today, I want to give myself one more day of peace."

I wanted to think I was still on the right path. That my career was before partying and drinking, though I do like a good drink from time to time. If I get one more night thinking I had done something right, it will ease my sorrows.

"Do you think that would be healthy?" She questions sincerely.

"I'll be fine."

It's just going to be hard making money in the future when I can no longer go to work. If I dream tonight that I have followed my goal I could rest easy. This isn't the end of my life, I could always pull it back together when my child is older.

"When I can, I'd like to go back to work as soon as possible. My child will have as much support in their dreams as goals as I can provide. I will do everything to please them. My mistakes is not their fault. Okay?"

My best friends smiles at me. "I'm proud."

I nod. "Good, but hold me. I need to cry just a little more."

Instantly, she grabbed onto my shoulders and forced me into a breath taking-literally- hug. I groaned a little but held her back just as hard, a waterfall dam breaking behind my eyes. Tears began to stream down my cheeks.

She hummed, rubbing my back in a soothing motion. I stared over her shoulder into my living room, imagining it with baby toys scattered everywhere. But I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts.

After a moment, we pulled back and she went towards the kitchen. "Ice cream?"

I sniffed, nodding my tired head and walked towards my living area. Plopping on the couch, I waited for my amazing best friend. She came not too long after she left and handed me a large tub of cookie dough.

"Thank you," I said in a stuffy response. One glance at the crumpled paper, I handed it to her. "Here, more proof."

LizAnnie skimmed over it, a faint smile playing at her lips. "Wow, this is really going to happen."

I shoved a large spoonful of ice cream into my mouth and shrugged. "Might as well get use to the fact I'll be poor and fat for nine months."

She laughed, placing the paper on the table next to the couch. "Actually, you become poor when all you ever buy is diapers and cute baby clothes," she corrects, smiling smugly.

"Right. Baby clothes."

Frowning at my stomach, I lifted my spoon and gulped another cold cream. Sighing in content, I cuddled up to the blankets lying underneath me and stared at my best friend.

"Cheer up," she chirps. "At least you aren't 16."

------
That's chapter one, everyone! Thanks for reading :)