Thirty-one

We walked down the stairs of the large mansion to see Cory and Marissa already there. Raven was no where to be seen, and I knew it probably had to do with the fact of what happened last night. I wasn't complaining, though.

Jason bounded down the steps with us, a huge, boyish grin gracing his lips. It reminded me of the little boy I always thought he was, until I figured out he was a part of a gang. "Let's go! Boss says there might be some unwelcome guests appearing today and we get first dibs."

In shock, I look his way. "You're kidding?" I say in disgust. He wants to kill for a sport? For entertainment?!

Where's the Jason I use to know?

Cory answered for him though, as Jase froze mid-stride to the door. "Get use to it, little girl. Jason has been with us for four years and has killed more people than you can count," he snapped. I glared at him in return.

I don't think I can ever get use to being friends with a killer.

Marissa stepped up to Liz and I with a small smile. "You girls will be coming with me. Apparently, as Raven has told me, the last ride with them hadn't gone too well?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to fight the urge to curse and than hold my baby for comfort. All of these people are playing with the strings of my emotions and it's bugging me. Even my memories, such as that one, is mentally scarring me.

Marissa nodded. "I'll take that as a yes."

Well, how would you feel if your best friend suddenly turned into a psychopath right before your eyes?

Just thinking of that horrid time made me shiver. We almost had gotten shot to death by some lunatics, but the gang members over here were having a blast. So yes, Marissa, I would prefer the safe route to wherever the heck we are going.

I picked up the baby bag and strapped it over my shoulder before taking my tiny daughter in my arms again. Poor kid has been jostled around a lot. Jason didn't meet my eye when I passed him and I was fine with that.

"I miss talking to Jase," LizAnnie whispered in my ear once we stepped foot outside.

"Me too," I respond numbly. I really did miss having my cheeky friend cracking jokes and cheering us up, but it was now too dangerous. Jason was no longer hiding under this innocent facade, he was showing his inner beast. And I was terrified.

We reached Marissa's car; surprisingly she is allowed to have one. Marissa opened the backseat door to clip Dee in her baby car seat. I smiled down at my baby and climbed into the back of the mustang.

Liz snorted. "So I'm up front? Thanks, bestie." I beamed at her, chuckling as she slumped in the front seat. LizAnnie never liked front seats. Her cousin had died in the passenger seat a few years ago because the driver failed to save her. Now Liz is paranoid that will happen to her.

Yes, that is a weird fear.

I kept my eyes solely on Diana as the car silently drove to whatever destination Raven wanted us at. My palms were slick with moisture as I rubbed them on my dress nervously. Dee stared at me as I got anxious.

You aren't going to die.

I frowned at the thought. I knew I wasn't going to die, possibly, but someone else was, and these three men I have been with for months will enjoy every second of it. Marissa might even tag along, after all, she is a small part of the gang, too.

Hopefully no one will have to die today. Then I won't have a weight on my shoulders, a fussy baby, and another cold threat. The threat Raven had told me earlier still burned in the back of my mind.