Fourty-eight

I could feel something pressed against my lips as I stir awake. Opening my eyes, I squint and look down to see a clear plastic sitting on my face. There was a clear tube connected to the bottom of it which I followed with my eyes.

"Mhh?" I mumble, looking at a grey box. It was then when I heard the humming and felt the vibration of the box. I puff out a breath, only to fog the plastic on my face.

It was a machine to help my breathing that I was connected to. Instead of staying still, I pull the plastic nebulizer off of my face and sit up. Blood immediately rushed to my head, making it pound uncomfortably.

"Marissa?" I call lowly, not finding it in me to speak loudly. "Marissa."

Wherever I was, I could tell I was no longer at the broken down cabin. The room was purely white and had neat furniture placed around. Something about this place made it feel familiar. Not safe; familiar.

"Marissa," I say more forcefully, but my tone was still low and groggy. With no response, I was force to get off the bed I was placed on. I flick off the asthma machine, and walk over to the door.

Something about the air made me very tense. As soon as my hand twisted the door, I heard a click. When I pulled it closer to me, it didn't budge.

"I knew it! How in the world did I know?!" I yanked and pulled into the door with all my strength. My leg cane up and knocked it it several times as I fought against it. "You stupid people!"

I start screaming wildly. When it didn't do anything, I started to search the room for something to use. "You're idiots if you think I'm going to sit here!" I yell as loud as I could.

I looked under the bed for something, but came up short. When I came to the closet, I noticed the hangers were metal. I glanced at the door to see there was no hole for me to unlock.

A scream left my lips again and I slammed the closet shut. "I'm going to get out of here!"

When the door shut, I caught a glimpse of the pole that held the hangers up. I threw the door open again and yanked it from the wall. It took awhile, but I managed to break it from the screws holding it.

Without thinking, I jammed the rod through the glass window. At first I had no success. "Is it locked?" I mumble, peeking at the window. I unlock the top parts of the window and slide it open. With the rod I broke, I jam it threw the screen and make a hole.

Satisfied, I peered out the hole through the screen. I realized I was in a room in Raven's mansion.

Irritated, I rolled my eyes and looked to the right. Next to me was part of the roof which was low enough for me to climb. I reach out for the roof which was closer than I thought and pull myself into it.

"Y'all are crazy if you think I'm going to put up with this," I growl angrily. "My daughter, my problem. Your mistake, stop making more."

After I got onto the roof part, I reach into the window to grab the rod. I crawl over to the window on the opposite side of the mansion. "Anyone here?" I ask quietly to myself. I peer into the second window and searched it, only to find no one there.

I pull at the window. It easily slides up. "Seems too easy."

Someone has to be here, or this would be a great job for myself. I didn't think I would be very good at escaping, because when I was a teen my parents somehow always caught me. Someone must either be hiding or behind the door.

I duck down a bit to look under the door. To large parts of the air way was dark. That must be someone feet guarding the door. I glance around. "Is there another window I can reach?"

I crawled to the end of the roof to find another window. Instead, I went with the closet tree. I was thankful Raven hadn't yet had someone come chop up the tree because now I can climb it.

I kept thinking about how this reminded me of my teen years, which felt like forever long ago. I would always scratch myself when going down the tree and end up limping to my friends car. Somehow I knew I would end up recreating that memory.

Branch my branch, I climb down the tall tree until I could jump. Once I was down, I searched the area for anyone ready to catch me.

"Where are you going?" A voice calls from behind me. Startled, j jump in my skin and spin around. "I thought we locked you in the room."

My eyes narrow at Cory. "Oh go back to the white house. I'm not going to listen to you nag me, grandma. I'm going back and getting my daughter."

Cory brings one foot closer, but doesn't take the step. "Raven caught Diana before they switched into another vehicle. You were right, someone inside is working agaisnt us."

"Well what about LizAnnie? Did he find her too?" I scan over his attire and raise an eyebrow in question.

"No. They took her."

I stubbornly turned my head to the side. "Keep my daughter safe, Cory," I warn him as I run towards the garage on the side of the house. I didn't hear anything sticks crunching under feet so I could tell he didn't follow after me.

"You're not gonna find her!"

I take a key set off the handle by the garage door and hit the unlock button. "Was I right in finding where they were?" I shout.

A slight pause made me nod my head and get into the car. I start the vehicle and roll out of the garage, speeding pass Cory and towards the road. There was no way I would leave my best friend out there alone when I got her into this mess.

If I can pinpoint where she will be, I can rescue her and go home.

---------

First thing, I'm not sure if this is actually how asthma works.

Second thing, the mansion discussed in this chapter is the secret house in the middle of no where. This is the one where Raven and Kenzie were suppose to get married, not the one in Michigan.

If you guys got any questions, let me know!