Six

Edited

I sat on the paper covered bed, hearing it crunch every time I moved. My hand was placed on my small bump as I stared at the ultrasound of my child. It was a beautiful sight, yet still surreal. My breathing was calm as I watched the slight stir of the picture.

I waited for LizAnnie to finish discussing things with my doctor. My best friend and I decided that she would know the gender of my baby and make a cake in pink or blue. Then, once I cut the cake, I'd finally know the gender myself. So she had to leave the room for a moment as I was left alone in the midst of all this.

My mom was wanting to do the same idea before I was born, but she was never the most patient person. Sooner or later she had snuck a call to the doctor and had him tell her while my father was left in the dark. I felt like I should at least attempt their unfinished mission since I had the opportunity. 

That and because I was too nervous to know right now.

"Kenzie!"

I slowly sat up to get off the bed, glad I no longer had to wait. Liz came by my side with ultrasound pictures that made me smile lightly. The doctor cleaned me off and sat me up.

"Thanks," I mumbled, taking them from her and making my way to the car. 

"So," she started, smirking in my direction as I started my vehicle and drove towards work. "How do you think you'll get mister mysterious to take the test?"

Oh yeah. He probably will want a test to know for sure.

I shrugged, flicking on the blinkers before turning. "The only way I can. Say that if he wants closure to this event, he'll have to come and see for himself."

"And then what?"

"Don't know. We'll see how it goes and go on from there. Can't plan everything out."

She nods and let's me drive in peace, lowly turning on my radio. I felt bad that I gave her such short answers and I knew she was worrying inside, but I still had to get my own answers from both baby makers. 

Raven and myself.

Work went by slowly like every other day. My heart went out to those who had lost their family members or close friends, though. I knew how hard it was to loose family. 

Speaking of family.

My mind froze, remembering I had parents and a sibling to discuss this with. How I managed to forget was once again, beyond me. I think maybe that was a symptom of my pregnancy because it's been happening a lot lately. 

Still, I finally remembered and instantly felt guilt. I hadn't talked to either my parents or sibling in awhile, even before the pregnancy. And when it comes time for me to speak to them once again, it won't be because I just want a casual chat.

Both Liz and Ange had taken notice to my tense body suddenly, but didn't say anything. I was astonished that Ange didn't say a word, because Liz already knew about the pregnancy and that I would be stressing. Angie is another thing.

"Angie."

She gives me a flat look. "I already know."

Baffled, I narrowed my eyes at her. "How?" 

Angie must have gotten this information from someone else because I haven't said a word to anyone here. LizAnnie doesn't count because she's known for four months.

"Don't give me that look! Your breasts are swelling, your cravings are out of control-not to mention your emotions-" I frowned at the last bit. "Don't get me started on how nervous you are when I peep at what's on your desk. I took a look through your drawers yesterday when you were on your break and saw Ultrasound picture-"

This is why I hadn't told a nosy girl I was pregnant.

"Mhh." I bit my cheek to keep my anger reeled in, but it was hard. "So you snooped?"

Shaking her head, she frowned. "No! I just...was curious."

LizAnnie laughed. "And nosy. Kudos to you for piecing it all together!"

They snapped their mouths shut when my computer beeped. We all looked at it before studying the front door of the hospital to see who came through. Once again, I was met with cold eyes that wanted to slice my insides and make them out.

He came up to me without glancing at the girls. "Cory."

I nodded. "You know where it is. Ten minutes, though, he had just gotten sleeping medicine."

Raven assessed me carefully, then nodded. I almost beamed at the acknowledgement but just settled with a small smile.

"Aren't you going to ask him?" LizAnnie queried, following Raven with her eyes as he walked away.

My eyes widen in realization as I popped from my feet and pushed passed the girls. I managed to keep up with his quick and fluent strides and open my mouth carelessly to call for him.

"Wait! Mr. Pierce!"

I was so going to regret this.

He stopped sharply, spinning around to glare down at me. "You are wasting my time."

Rolling my lip between my teeth, I shuffled on my feet nervously. "I need to ask you for something?"

"I told you, I'm not an insurance company. We don't have time for people like you."

I flinched but continued. "All I want is a paternity test. If it isn't you, I'll leave you alone." I looked into his eyes, pleadingly. "Please, this would be best for the both of us."

After long moments, he nodded. "When?"

I sighed in utter relief, grateful that he agreed. "Next Friday okay?"

"Fine."

He left without another word. But I could care less. I was finally getting my answers.