Fourty-six

The constant worry ate away at my mind, causing further stress. I had no idea where my daughter was or whom she was with. My best friend was with her and could be suffering a horrible fate. My heart was racing and hollowness began to fill my stomach.

But I kept it in. If I released my worries and stress it only makes matters worse for others.

"Mackenzie," Marissa snaps suddenly. I whip my head towards her to see a gun in her hand. Shocked, I stare at it. "I said take it."

The car was stopped. We were in front of what looked like an abandoned cabin. Men were guarding the place and some even came up to our car. They instantly recognized Marissa but we're skeptical of me.

"Take the gun?" I ask. She nods vigorously and pushes it into my hands. I take ahold of it and grip the gun tightly.

"You can't be soft now. Even I have to put up a tough front if I want to stay here," she informs me. Reaching behind her seat, she takes out a black case. She enters a code before it pops open. Another pistol unknown to me was taken out and loaded.

I look over the gun. Well, I did say I would kill anyone.

Nodding my head at my inner thoughts, I shove the gun away and step out of her car. We both meet to the front of it before she talks to the men. After a moment they all look to me with a hard look.

"Let's go." Marissa grips my arm tightly, dragging me into the run down cabin. I follow quickly and watch as the room changes completely. The inside was fixed up and had computers all over. A wall in the back proudly hung all different weapons. I realized this was all to track down Dee.

Raven looks up from a map, his cold gleaming eyes connecting with my own. Boy, did he looked pissed when he recognized my beautiful face. His eyes were glued to me and didn't bother to look at his sister.

Anger fumes started to emit from him as I stared to imagine the outcomes. "Quiet!" I spit out. Raven clamps his mouth shut obediently. "Just, listen."

Marissa drops my arm. "Think of this as a mission. Her job is to run things here. You go find Diana."

Raven scowled. "You brought her here?! Quanto stupido si può essere che non è supponiamo di essere qui! Prendere la schiena lei è un fastidio."

Marissa grew a tad bit red in the face. "How dare you?! Lei resterà qui. Mia nipote sarà trovato e portato a casa in sicurezza. Smettere di essere un cazzo teso e lasciare che il suo aiuto!"

I pouted my lips, looking anywhere but at them as they bickered. I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but since it was in Italian it sounded nice enough. Raven kept flickering his eyes over to me throughout the conversation, telling me his focus was off.

"Smettere di pensare questo è tutto su di te. Questo non è il momento di cercare di agire come un boss difficile," Marissa says softly, a heavy accent flowing through her words. "Diana and Mackenzie need you. Get it together."

Finally, I make eye contact with Raven. "Please."

With that, he shakes his head and moves to the side. I sigh happily, moving over to his side so I can also look at the map. "First of all, the red lines are a trace of where we found them. The push pins are areas they have not been spotted."

I glide my finger over the fresh map. "So what are these dashes?"

"Those are where my men are. We surrounded the area before they hit this half mark here." He points between the town they went missing and the town to leave.

I squint my eyes, studying each part. "So why haven't you found them yet?" I look at each point, hoping to find out where we were. Looks like Raven took us to a secret place Pennsylvania, far from Michigan. I had no idea what town we were in, but it didn't matter.

Raven breaths deeply, as if I had somehow wounded his ego. "They are somewhere. They can't escape my men. That is why you need to stay here and keep watch of everyone while I go out there."

Surround and sneak. This sounds way too easy. If someone was able to kidnap the daughter of a gang leader, than they must be smarter than what everyone is giving them credit for. If they all go in the center to find the culprit, one part of the barrier will me weak. The moment they try to enter it from the outside.

I think these people know that too.

"No," state firmly. "Don't do that. We need to find a different way."

They don't know which way Raven would be coming in, but I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard to guess.

"Kenzie?" Marissa asks.

"Well I mean, take a look at this map. All these lines are purposefully avoiding the areas where the lush pins are. It's like they want us to check there first, seeing as we haven't tried there. It's almost as if they know our every move."

Raven frowns. "Like someone inside is helping them?"

I bit my lip. "It is a high possibility."

"Ridiculous! That is unacceptable! Do not say such shame to my leadership," he growls out angrily.

"All I'm saying is they seem to know what to avoid! If they know where we are and what point we might come from than they have the advantage!" I yell, putting my foot down. I wasn't going to back away from the idea. If there was even the slightest possibility I would investigate it all for my child.

"No!"

"Just give it a chance!"

"I said no!" He screams loudly, slamming his fist next to the map. I jump, startled a bit then open my mouth once more.

"Boss." Cory comes into the room suddenly. "We need to at least replan as if that was the case. We cant be too sure."

Raven pulls away, turning his face from me. For a moment he stays silent than asks, "So what do we do then?"