Twenty-three

Edited
Somehow, we had made it past the frantic Jason and passed out Cory without being seen. I gazed upon the locked doors differently this time, and wondered if thats where the others were staying at.

Looks like we aren't leaving anytime soon.

Scarlett carelessly flung open the basement door, warning us to watch our steps even though she was the one in heels. The darkness surrounded me the further we went down the old stairs and each creak gave me a fright. I prayed my heavy butt didn't fall through the louder the noise got. But when we were fully down, Scarlett stopped walking. I only knew that because I could no longer hear her shoes.

"Okay, here we are!"

I frowned at the girl but it suddenly changed to shock when she pushed open a door and a brightly lit diner was in place.

Now how in the world did that get there?

"How come we didn't hear this before?" LizAnnie asked as we walked in, loud chatter and laughter could still be heard over the music playing. I shrugged my shoulders and followed the red-head.

"This place is sound proof," Scarlett states as if she had heard our conversation. "I wouldn't be able to get any sleep if it wasn't."

The room was gigantic, with the classic bar off to our left as soon as we opened the door. I resisted the urge to look over what they got, knowing how bad I really needed some booze. A large stage was off to the right and in-between was some round tables. All the tables were moved off to the side, though, for enough space for dancing.

This was place was sophisticated with men in suits everywhere. I could already tell Raven owned this place just by the looks of it. A fancy chandelier dangled above the dance floor and shinned the room brightly.

Imagine the electric bill.

When I scoped the place out, I was surprised to see Raven sitting in the far corner at a table covered in a white sheet. Staring at him, I realized this had been where he was hiding the whole time.

"Liz." I nudged her with my elbow and she glanced at me. "Butthole, 2 o'clock."

Looking that way, she frowned at the sight of Raven. Scarlett kept walking in the other direction, forcing me to loose sight of him. We wrapped around the bar and into another door that held many lockers.

"Here we are. Your lockers are all the way in the back." Scarlett pointed towards the back of the locker room, were several other girls where.

I can't believe we were so oblivious to so many different people.

I now realized what Scarlett meant when she said we must be the new workers. These women were there to work the dinner. And we were placed in here to do the same.

"Um, I don't think I can," I started to object, gesturing to my stomach. "Fit into anything. I'd rather not."

"Yeah me too," Liz echoed, staring in fright at the lockers and what could be behind them.

Scarlett shook her head with a smile. "No worries, girls, we have large ones, too."

I scrunched my nose. "Uh, no thanks. Wouldn't the boys be disgusted with me?"

"Not that I know of."

Looking away from her, I walked over to the last locker and pulled out the black top. Letting it hang loosely around my fingers, I held it up to show Scarlett. "That's not my size."

As if they hadn't noticed me before, all the women near the lockers turned to look at me. Shock was written on their faces once they took in my stomach, but then it morphed into something I was afraid of.

Happiness.

They looked ecstatic to see a pregnant lady and they all jumped over to where I was and bombarded me.

"Oh my god! How far along!"

"Boy or girl?"

"Ooh, you are so lucky!"

"I wish i had a kid."

"Danny, you don't got to va-ja-ja to have a kid," someone replied to the last girl. My breath caught in my lungs and my wise eyes looked towards that direction.

"What's did you just say?"

I started to laugh a little, causing their bicker to end as they beamed at me. They all seemed pretty nice, but I was becoming claustrophobic with our proximity and looked for LizAnnie.

"Can't breath," I wheezed dramatically, hoping Liz could hear me. She did and immediately came to my rescue, pulling me away from the girls. "Thanks."

Stupid asthma.

"Girls," Scarlett called to them, catching everyone's attention. "Meet LizAnnie and Mackenzie. And the little baby they got."

"Is it a girl?" Someone asked again.

"Yes," I answer simply.

"What's her name?"

I shrugged but than smirked a little, remembering a show I had once watched. "Princess Beyonce."

They all went quiet, blinking at me like I was crazy. I started to laugh again as did LizAnnie because she had seen Rasing Hope with me.

"I'm kidding. I don't know what to call her. Maybe Diana?"

"That's pretty."

"So cute!"

"Lucky!"

My heart swelled a little at the girls' compliments. It felt nice to actually have someone who doesn't know me, support me in my decision. Scarlett suddenly pulled LizAnnie away, pointing to a locker next to the one I had. I looked at the piece of black cloth in my hand and shook my head.

There was no way I would wear that. I won't work here.

When Liz came out of the changing room Scarlett forced in her, she gave me a grim smile and we walked out. Before we did, though, I handed the shirt to one of the girls. As we got out, I noticed Raven looking around. He caught my eye, his eyebrows shooting up a fraction and then a smirk of amusement appeared on his face.

Men looked our way and whistled, before turning back and chatting. I went to march over towards Raven and demand an explanation, but a hand grabbed mine.

"Where you going, doll? I'm right here." A man with rotten teeth questioned, grinning up at me as he blew out smoke from his cigarette.I frowned and pulled my arm away from him.

"I'm pregnant."

He shrugged. "So? Your face is hot."

I scoffed, turning to find Liz so we can both leave and crawl back into our beds. We should have never attempted to leave. This was not at all what I expected would be down the in the basement.