Chapter 19

The First Day Without Luhan

Eula’s POV

It was already lunch time when I went to the office. I finalized the project plan for the promotions of the special issue before going so that I only have to do some at work. When I got off the car, driven by one of the drivers in the mansion, I suddenly felt a tiny bit nervous. It was the first time I was going to work without Luhan. I thanked the driver and told him that he can pick me up at 6pm. I didn’t get his number anymore since I was pretty sure I will be going home later that six and by then, the driver will be waiting for me.

It was a usual work day, with my work now only down to checking the final draft of the special magazine issue with Jongdae and Luhan. I can still remember that time when Luhan lied to be sick.

“Jongdae-ah, she’s the head writer of the article about you…” I tried hard to put everything into words, “I’ll leave you to her, okay?”

He looked at me with both surprise and confusion in his face. I could also sense disappointment brewing somewhere but I didn’t let it bother me for now.

“I thought we had already agreed to go out today?” Jongdae politely asked.

“Yes, but... Luhan needs me right now.”

He chuckled and shook his head, then looked at his copy of the interview questions. I apologized to him but I guess I couldn’t undo the damage I’ve caused. The head writer, sensing the privacy of our conversation, politely asked to go out for a while to prepare her gadgets.

“Eula,” Jongdae took my hand and looked at the diamond ring gracing it, “I can’t help but regret the time I wasted in not finding you.”

For some reasons, I didn’t want to hear what he was about to say anymore. Jongdae is a good friend and the kind of conversation we were having would only lead to one thing: losing him.

“I’ve met you first and yet… he got to you first. How the hell did that happen?” He smiled but I can see the bitterness in his eyes.

I couldn’t answer. All I did was take my hand from him and thought about Luhan. I don’t want to hurt him, not even once. Even though I didn’t want to let Jongdae down, I had to.

“I don’t know either, Jongdae-ah. All I know is that, he needs me now and I have to be there.” I bit my lip and stood up.

“I’m going back to China tomorrow. And…” Jongdae nodded and sighed, “I don’t know if can come back soon.”

He’s already left after sending me a message that says “Be happy”. I replied “take care” to him but he didn’t respond anymore. Maybe one day we can make amends and continue being friends.

“She even had the nerve to…”

As I walked into the office, I heard murmurs that suddenly stopped. I looked around and everybody was looking at me and then some would whisper something to someone else. I was so puzzled by what was happening until I reached my table. I put my leather hand bag on the table and looked back again, making everybody avoid my stare.

“What’s happening?” I asked no one in particular.

When nobody answered, I shrugged my shoulders and turned on my computer to check on emails. As usual, I had schedule reminders for Luhan’s meetings, some requests for featuring, and so on. But what caught my attention is an email that says “To the Luckiest Bitch”.

At first, I was scared to open it. It could be a virus, who knows. But when I finally opened it, I saw a long thread of conversation about someone about everybody in the office hated. When I finally got to the beginning of the thread, I realized that the bitch is actually me.